What is your favorite movie of all time?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
The third spaghetti western made by Sergio Leone is tops for me- "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly ". I have seen it at least 50 times and never pass it up when it runs on the local tube.  Not real sure I can say exactly why I love this flick but it works for me.

favorite line: : When Tuco (Eli Wallach) says "A-A-Arch Stanton? Are you sure?"

Robert Redford's "A River Runs Through it".

Should not be too surprising for anyone.

Lonesome Dove was a mini-series... not a movie... but i agree, one of the great westerns of all time...

Dick

Blade Runner -- great story (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep), great details, great effects, great camera work, great acting.

Cut-Throat, I would have thought somebody named after a fish would have loved The Incredible Mr. Limpet :)

Hey Dick, you are splitting hairs. Anyway, I have a bunch of movies I've watched 10+ times. I even annoy my wife by reciting the dialogue in advance. I thought
about listing them, but none comes close to 'Lonesome
Dove' for me.

John Galt

Casabanca - nothing else remotely comes close - some good entertainment to be sure - High Plains Drifter, Pink Panther, Apollo 13, Star Wars, Speed, Any old W.C. Fields comedy, etc. - But there is only one Casablana - and then 'other stuff'.

'Casablanca' is a good movie, but dated IMHO.
If you want to go back that far, I prefer 'Citizen Kane'
which has scored No. One in numerous surveys with
various groups. As I recall, it was scored No. One
on the "list of 100 best of all time". I really would
not disagree, except I like my movies a bit more
up to date.

John Galt

I really would
not disagree, except I like my movies a bit more
up to date.

A confusing statement from someone that wishes he lived 100 years ago. :)

The Clint Eastwood Westerns are also favorites of mine. Not the poetic message of 'A river runs through it', but great entertainment. The John Wayne Westerns were strange in that he always looked like he had a fresh haircut. - I suspect the men of that era were groomed more like Clint.

Hi Cut-Throat. A "confusing statement"? Perhaps.
I don't necessarily avoid modern diversions.
It's mostly the politics, pop culture and environmental
degradation I lament, vs. 100 years ago. Anyway,
"A River Runs Through It" was a hell of a movie.
BTW, I assume you noticed 'Lonesome Dove'
was set in the late 19th century.

John Galt

---Scent of a Woman --- (Favorite line - Lt. Col. Frank Slade (Al Pacino): "...Out of order, I'll show you out of order. You don't know what out of order is, Mr. Trask. I'd show you, but I'm too old, I'm too tired, and I'm too frickin' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place!!!")

In my top 10 would be 'As Good as It Gets'. Nicholson says "Some people have pretty stories
with boats and friends and noodle salad. That's their
life; good friends, noodle salad..........just nobody in this car!" Pacino is probably my all time favorite actor though.

John Galt

Rear Window - Grace Kelly (need I say more... :confused:) :) Jimmy Stewart, and Ironsides as the bad guy!!! Deliciously voyeuristic and it's a Hitchcock!!!

:)

DaddyBoy
:)

Hi Martha! That's a good one. I think many of us had
to swim through crap to get to ER. Now that I think
about it, that scene plus the ending with Tim Robbins
working on his boat at the beach is a pretty good metaphor for ER wannabees.

John Galt

Scooby Do II:

Favorite line - after being asked by door-to-door religious types, "Have you heard the good news?" Scooby replies, "Yeah, there's cookies." :D

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. :D

Favorite movie---"The Wizard of Oz"

Of course, too much of it reminds me of why I want early retirement. Some days I am attacked by the flying monkeys...and everyday "pay no attention to the little man behind the curtain"

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Godfather part 2 and then part 1. It has to be the best movie ever made. The whole point of the movie is that none of those guys wanted to work a real job, so they were all retired early. They all lived off of their "investments", and they all lived like today was their last day on Earth. How much closer to ER can a movie get?

They, like we ER people, have the Frank Sinatra mentality in that we want to do it "our way." Even though I am self-employed because I refuse to have a "boss" or "surperviser" and I refuse to be "trained" like a dog, I still want to retire early to approach total freedom. Somehow, the government always takes their tribute, but I guess some of it does pay to protect me and my investments in the form of national security.

"I am a retired investor on a pension, and I wished to live there as a Jew in the twilight of my life." Hyman Roth to reporters

I considered the "Godfather" films. I have a boxed set.
In fact, I just finished watching No. III for about the 5th
time last night. I believe they are all outstanding and
would not argue with anyone ranking them at the top.

John Galt

Shawshank Redemption.  It reminds me of my working towards early retirement.

Hilarious. My friends and I just quoted that movie at lunch today. After dispairing at the general lack of excitement in our work environment, we said, "Hope is a good thing" before shuffling off to do more work.

Another movie for bad days at work is Heat, especially on Wednesdays when the armored car pulls up to service the ATMs at work. :0

Back
Top Bottom