Considering A Second Job?

Tommy_Dolitte

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been contemplating getting a second job.  Would like to make $5 - $10 K on the side.  This would effectively take care of my living expenses.

Thoughts on this strategy?  Anyone else doing this.  

TD

;)

Take care of what expenses? You mean the expenses of participating in the second job. Well maybe just. Based on your soon to be joint incomes I expect after taxes you'd clear pretty much zip.

Seriously sounds like you have a great handle on saving your sheckles, why mess up your life by working yourself to death?

Two reasons I'd work weekends:

1. I was in debt up to my eyeballs and needed to pay it off ASAP.

2. It was my own business that either:

a. I really loved, and could skip when I wanted to just waste the weekend, or

b. I was building to be my future full-time business.

Is there any other reason?

I worked three jobs for a year in my 20's to pay off debt and never take any on again after that.

It was kinda fun work though. I worked days as a programmer and sales support guy, nights at a hardware store, and 3rd shift on weekends at the 7-11.

That 3rd shift job was fun, but it sucked to work 9-5, then work 6-9 at the hardware store, then 12-8am at the 7-11 on fridays, then 3-9 at the hardware store and 12-8 at 7-11 on saturday night.

I was worn out after a year. But it was worth it.

I've occasionally considered trying to do tech consulting on the side, but I like my free time way too much to have tried it yet.

I have this nagging feeling that I'll be better off in the mid and long term if I quit corporations and start my own business, and starting with a side gig might be a gateway to running my own business "full time" so I may consider that in the next year or two.

For a couple of months I worked full time and schooled full time. It was a new tech job and I was finishing my two year tech degree. It was a very, very hectic time and I do not wish to repeat it unless necessary.

I think it is a good idea to start any new business
venture as a sideline, if practical, before you cut the umbilical. Gives you a chance to learn the ropes and
make some contacts.

Cheers,

Charlie

I made a lot more money in a lot less time once I went
totally out on my own. While I would like to think it was
because I'm a smart guy, I know much was the product of having 100% control and luck. With hindsight I can see some major blunders on major decisions. Still, I had a
solid business with good product and good customers.
This largely overcame any management errors on my part. That, plus I worked ungodly hours while I had my
own money totally at risk. Well, that's mostly true
although I was 100% leveraged when I bought the business in 1990. Bottom line. I was on my own completely from 1987 (got fired that year) until I semiretired
in 1993. Did I have a better 6 year period as far as
progress toward ER? Doubtful.

John Galt

Tommy, remember that all this saving for an early retirement is great, but none of us are guaranteed tomorrow! So, you need to enjoy yourself some now too :D

Hi Tommy,

I don't know if it's the same as taking on two jobs at the same time, but I was a very happy workaholic for several years. While I was working as an electrical engineer, I was also writing books in my spare time. And while I was teaching, I was also consulting. I also was very active in professional society activities during this period. I really enjoyed the work and the effort was rewarding financially -- probably more rewarding than working a second job in an unrelated field.

I'm not at all sorry that I was so committed. Like I said, I enjoyed it. But I have no desire to work like that today. Retirement is very satisfying now.

Back
Top Bottom