St. Patrick's Day

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
For Mikey:

Drunk Ole Mulvihill (From the Northern Irish Clan) staggers into a
>Catholic Church, enters a confessional box, sits down, but says nothing.
>The Priest coughs a few times to get his attention but Ole Mulvihill
>just sits there.
>
>Finally, the Priest pounds three times on the wall.
>
>The drunk mumbles, "ain't no use knockin, there's no paper on this side
>either."

In honor of my Irish ancestors on St. Patty's day, I'll be having an Irish 7 course meal tonight. Everybody knows what that is, right? :D

You guys will be soon be hearing from Mr. Shapiro, attorney for the Irish Anti-Defamation League. He isn't pleased.

Mikey

March 11 - 20: Irish, Italian, Canary Islanders, Mardi Gras Indians - oh yeah throw in some ordinary locals and tourists.

If you survive that excuse to party - rest up for Jazz Fest.

Welcome to New Orleans. The French Quarter and the Irish Channel are rocking. I doubt many will be able to count to 7 before the night is over.

A 6-pack and a bag of chips?

That would be the modern version.

Six pack and a baked potato.

This day is, of course, in celebration of the day saint patrick charmed all of the snakes in Ireland and led them away to where they were packed into joke gift cans, to surprise the opener by popping out.

We'll be having the good old corned beef, potato, cabbage and carrot deal. I used to corn my own briskets, and those came out pretty good but I dont have a spare fridge to do it in anymore and cant spare the room in the main fridge.

The trick to the cabbage is DONT cook it too long. Just a few minutes until it just starts to wilt a little and is still crunchy in the middle. Sulphurs start forming the longer you cook it, which is what makes it stink and taste bad.

Actually corned beef and cabbage is not the traditional irish feast for celebrations like st pattys day. It was usually a stew concoction like this:

2 pounds lean stewing beef
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons tomato puree, dissolved in 4 tablespoons water
1-1/4 cups Guinness stout beer
2 cups carrots, cut into chunks
Sprig of thyme

March 11 - 20: Irish, Italian, Canary Islanders, Mardi Gras Indians - oh yeah throw in some ordinary locals and tourists.

You have a Canary Islander Community in NO? I thought they all lived In New Bedford or Fall River Mass.

Those folks do know how to party, and they have beautiful music too.

Mikey

Poor old Paddy O'Toole just learned of his terminal cancer and that he has only days to live. Leaving the hospital to go home to die Paddy thought, "I just want one more night at the pub with me friends and me boy Tommy".

That night With all the gusto Paddy could muster he hoisted his mug and announced to all that he was dying of VD. On the way home, Tommy who knew of his fathers condition asked why he told the cronies he had VD?

Paddy said, "After I'm gone I dont want any of those old bastards pesterin' yer mither!".

Ruh Roh.

If you read "the millionaire next door", the following is especially funny. The writers did a study on the best "LBYM"ers by national origin and found that Scots were most likely to be deep LBYMers.

With that, on with the joke...

There was this guy who was 1/2 irish, 1/2 scottish. he wanted a drink but he couldn't bring himself to buy one.

Even better...

The queen of England and the Pope were seated side by side on the platform at an event. After speaking together the subject of the innate powers of their respective offices came up."Isn't it curious that with a wave of my hand I can bring this crowd to its feet, cheering,"said her majesty. "Quite to the contrary," said the Pope, I can with a nod of my head cause every Irishman in the world to rise to his feet cheering. "My dear man I would like to see that ,"said the Queen. With that the Pope head butted her...

Mikey

Los Islenos Fiesta - March 19-20, St Bernard - south of New Orleans where the 'The Battle of New Orleans' was actually fought.

ST Bernard Parish is where the Canary Islanders settled way back when.

The 19th has the Irish-Italian parade and Sunday the Mardi Gras Indians parade for St Joseph (Silician patron Saint who ended famine). St Joseph alters appear around this time also. Still have a lucky bean somewhere.

We are not overly picky about who is what - as long as there is a good reason to party.  

Back
Top Bottom