Hawaiians move to Minnesota

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I just met a couple who moved from Hawaii to northern Minnesota for the clean air. They tell me that there is a high incidence of asthma and other respiratory ailments on the Big Island from stuff being expelled by the volcano.

So their first and best idea was "lets move to where we'll freeze our butts off for 11 months out of the year"?? ;)

Dont MAKE me put up photos of me in my shorts playing with the baby in the back yard this past weekend, slightly perspiring in the upper 70 degree weather... :)

So their first and best idea was "lets move to where we'll freeze our butts off for 11 months out of the year"?? ;)

Dont MAKE me put up photos of me in my shorts playing with the baby in the back yard this past weekend, slightly perspiring in the upper 70 degree weather...  :)

TH,

We had 70 degree weather this weekend here in Minneapolis Also. Close to 80 today 8)

I saw all that warm weather up there this week.

A bit of an abberation though, hmmm? ;)

Come on, I'm a former new englander...I know exactly how crappy it is to live in north...so dont be tryin' to snow me ;)

I'm not surprised. The median house price here on Maui is around $630,000 and that buys a small house in a so so neighborhood. There are lot's of places on the mainland where locals can move, buy a new house, and have enough left over for a significant nest egg.

SOmetimes when the kona winds blow (southerly) I get headaches. I was told that it's due to the vog from the volcano on the big island.

I saw all that warm weather up there this week.

A bit of an abberation though, hmmm? ;)

Come on, I'm a former new englander...I know exactly how crappy it is to live in north...so dont be tryin' to snow me ;)

I have never pulled any punches on Minnesota weather. I hate it in Dec, Jan, and Feb - But, I really like it 9 months of the year. April mostly has beautiful weather. Not outdoor swimming weather. But very pleasant. :)

In the coming years, I will be getting out of town more in Dec, Jan and Feb.

I have never pulled any punches on Minnesota weather. I hate it in Jan, Feb and Mar. - But, I really like it 9 months of the year. April mostly has beautiful weather. Not outdoor swimming weather. But very pleasant. :)

In the coming years, I will be getting out of town more in Dec, Jan and Feb.

April might be beautiful unless you are 150 plus miles north of CT and watch the ice go out on lake superior as late as June. Fifty here today. Still a little snow under the trees out back.

Yup, I will not be moving to Duluth in the near future. :)

Duluth is not on my top 10 list either. To be honest
(always try to be) I enjoyed most of my time in Minnesota (quite a lot). The winters kill it for me
as far as ever actually living there. Cut-Throat
has posted re. this issue. IMHO he is putting a
positive spin on things. December, January, February
and maybe March are miserable most of the time.

JG

I read several artilas in the last year that say the largest collection of former Hawaiians is in....(no kidding)...Las Vegas. Not sure what this means for a cultural of weather profile but there are worse placess. And they have been moving there for years.

I just met a couple who moved from Hawaii to northern Minnesota for the clean air.  They tell me that there is a high incidence of asthma and other respiratory ailments on the Big Island from stuff being expelled by the volcano.
I didn't know Hawaii had a quota of people required to live in Minnesota. I'm glad those guys volunteered before they got down to my name!

Interesting relocation decision. The vog is pretty noxious to look at but I haven't read anything locally about respiratory hazards and it's certainly nowhere near as hazardous as acid rain. We don't have any air-alert procedures like LA or Denver. I'm sure people are sensitive to it, but I wonder how vog-related asthma is separated out from pediatric & occupational incidents or if this is a struggling urban legend.

Kilauea has been erupting steadily for over two decades. Millions of visitors have hiked down to the end of Chain of Craters road to watch the lava flow into the ocean. I wonder if the respiratory problems come from acute or chronic exposure? I wonder how long volcanologists live?

I wonder how their first Minnesota winter was. I think it's much easier to make the transition TO Hawaii!

I read several artilas in the last year that say the largest collection of former Hawaiians is in....(no kidding)...Las Vegas. Not sure what this means for a cultural of weather profile but there are worse placess. And they have been moving there for years.
Well, sure, after living in one of only two states with no gambling, where else would you retire?

Vegas businesses are masters of Hawaii marketing. Many locals have been making Vegas trips for decades and know the area well. (Hawaii companies run Vegas redeye charters that fill the hotels during the weekdays and get you home before weekend price increases.) Local Hawaii singers/musicians have found steady employment in the area and that attracts more "locals". The Hotel Cal even puts rice cookers in the rooms.

Many Hawaii expats are accused of abandoning the state as either career failures or equity bandits. Those are certainly concerns, but usually the actual situation is as simple as relocating to be near kids or grandkids who can't afford to live where their parents grew up. Vegas land was cheap for years, the climate is similar to Hawaii in many ways, and good news spreads fast on a small island.

I like the idea of expanding Hawaiian "culture". The Merrie Monarch Hula Festival now brings competing halau from all over California, Nevada, & Texas. L&L Barbeque and ABC stores are opening on the Mainland. Many Mainland universities have Aloha clubs for their Hawaii students. But I doubt that I'll see many shaka signs in Pittsburgh...

I just met a couple who moved from Hawaii to northern Minnesota for the clean air.  They tell me that there is a high incidence of asthma and other respiratory ailments on the Big Island from stuff being expelled by the volcano.
Las Vegas I could understand, but Minnestoa, below zero, frozen car seats, double pane windows, engine oil heaters, too cold to even snow, no way!

I think I may have cracked this one.

I believe the hawaiians were moving to a place they thought was called minnersoter... ;)

Hmmm

Minnersoter was the 'proper' Seattle pronunciation when I was growing up - along with the refugee jokes.

On the other side of the coin is living in the deep south from mid July through August. Maybe I will vacation in Minnesota during that period. :D

Lake Ponchartrain helps some - but August is still August. 95/95 takes some getting used to.

I lived for 50 years in Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.
Then , a Texas resident from 1994 to 1998. Interesting
that the Texas heat never had any effect. I loved it when it
got over 100 and stayed there for a week. Sometimes the locals would say "Isn't it humid?" What humid?
I never noticed any humidity in my 4 years there.
Obviously these folks had never experienced August
in Illinois.

JG

Hi helen! All over really.

Farmington Hills, 1976 to 1980
Fenton, 1980 to 1982
Menominee area, 1982 to 1993
Traverse City, 1997 to 1998

Still my fav. northern state.

JG

Michigan and S. Ontario got a sh*tload of snow today! :'(

Earlier in the week it was 27C (80F) in London. :confused:

I think Bruce might have missed it around Niagara, but JG probably got some yesterday. :D

They come from outerspace. Show up in the New Orleans suburbs once every seven years or so. You gotta be really quick with the videocam to catch them before they disappear.

I just met a couple who moved from Hawaii to northern Minnesota for the clean air. They tell me that there is a high incidence of asthma and other respiratory ailments on the Big Island from stuff being expelled by the volcano.

I was o.k. when taking these shots:

img_301020_0_3701ee1ac6446f2c1fb54e8f35d2a475.jpg

img_301020_1_4979b52ae3a753223b0093849ff21b62.jpg

Seriously, Hawaii truly is Paradise to me, I've been fortunate enought to have spent about 8 months of my life there over three visits, San Diego is the closest I can afford! This baby whale decided to check out our boat:

img_301020_2_86be3ac79b03a1865dc997a8714d0490.jpg

I was o.k. when taking these shots:

Seriously, Hawaii truly is Paradise to me, I've been fortunate enought to have spent about 8 months of my life there over three visits, San Diego is the closest I can afford!
I watched the park paramedics evacuate a visitor from that spot (dehydration? sprained ankle?). The gurney was on a v-frame above a single fat tire-- sort of a wheelbarrow under the gurney's CG-- designed to navigate through the lava field without delivering too many bumps. I'd rather look at your photos than get to have that experience.

People's faith in park rangers amazes me. "Here, come look at this live lava! Don't worry, this shelf won't collapse into the water for days yet. And I'm almost positive that we're not standing on top of a lava tube. Hey, watch me stick a twig into the stream of liquid rock!! Ooops... anyone bring an extra bottle of water?"

If I wasn't living here, I'd live in San Diego...

Back
Top Bottom