Jeez Louise!

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I go out on a day trip and look what happens!

Had to flush my XP dns to get the new site...I see some DNS servers around here and there are taking 2-3 days to pick up changes...

I'm pleased...no...PROUD...that the 'bunny with pancake on its head' is leading in the polls. My dogs are eating frozen waffles right now. I'm sure theres no connection.

This looks good...dont think I've seen this bbs variant before. Quite a bit of work I'm sure, although what the heck happened with that message "We'll be back in a few hours!" that looks like it dates to yesterday?!? ;)

So far, the only thing I see that looks like we need it is MORE SMILEYS!

th said:
This looks good...dont think I've seen this bbs variant before. Quite a bit of work I'm sure, although what the heck happened with that message "We'll be back in a few hours!" that looks like it dates to yesterday?!? ;)
Thanks. This board software is SMF which is a renamed YaBB SE which is a PHP/MySQL fork/rewrite of YaBB Gold (CGI/Perl-based).

The "We'll be back..." message is on the old server, so if you see that the DNS or proxy hasn't picked up the change yet.

More smileys? Actually that can be done, but I didn't figure this group to be smiley freaks.

I often find myself torn...so torn...between laughing, crying and sticking my tongue out...perhaps more choices would help ease my burden...

:eek: :)

Ah, I see we have the 'devil' emoticon, although you have to type it in by hand instead of clicking on the picture. That should solve 99.8% of my problems...

>:D

I changed the message over at http://64.37.106.236/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl -- now it says:

The Early Retirement Forums have moved to a different server, as of midday on Saturday, April 30...
If you are seeing this message, you might need to reset your PC cached DNS setting. It may be sending you to the old server. Some of us got to the new server by rebooting and trying again. Others went to a Command window and typed "ipconfig/flushdns" and then "ipconfig /registerdns" ... you may get it right away, or it may take up to 5 minutes.

Hope to see you on the new site soon!

[edit -thanks to th for better instructions for our friends lost in space]

do the ipconfig /flushdns and then an ipconfig /registerdns ... you may get it right away, it may take up to 5 minutes.

Speaking of 'jeez louise', TH has more stars than the milky way! For those folks on smaller screens, the stars could take up more space than the posts do... with all due respect to TH, even the highest ranking generals only get 5 stars ;)

Bah...I spit on mere generals...

You're just mad because you have such a teeny weeny set of stars... ;)

th said:
do the ipconfig /flushdns and then an ipconfig /registerdns ... you may get it right away, it may take up to 5 minutes.

I had trouble getting on initially but didn't understand these directions as I remain a computer dope. I did shut down and was able to get on after a couple of tries. Might anyone else be stuck and need junior computer person instructions? Or is all well now?

Nice job BMJ and Dory.

Martha said:
I had trouble getting on initially but didn't understand these directions as I remain a computer dope. I did shut down and was able to get on after a couple of tries. Might anyone else be stuck and need junior computer person instructions? Or is all well now?

Well, with these server moves / name changes, some people just get the updates faster than others. The reboots and special instructions are tricks to try to get it to happen faster. Eventually it will work itself out for everybody. I imagine by now everyone is getting the new site fine.

Nice job BMJ and Dory.

Thanks!

For XP users, click 'start/all programs/accessories/command prompt'. You should get a black window and a "C:>" prompt.

Type "Ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
Type "Ipconfig /registerdns" and hit enter
type exit
wait a minute or two...

For older versions of windoze, I believe the command was 'winipcfg' instead of ipconfig.

It would be easy to say something cute, such as "If you can read these instructions, then you don't need them...", but cached DNS's are strange. I was on this forum hours yesterday and again this morning, then went away for a few hours, and had to redo the step th describes below before I could get back in.

th said:
For XP users, click 'start/all programs/accessories/command prompt'.  You should get a black window and a "C:>" prompt.

Type "Ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
Type "Ipconfig /registerdns" and hit enter
type exit
wait a minute or two...

For older versions of windoze, I believe the command was 'winipcfg' instead of ipconfig.

I think most systems will automatically expire dns entries after a day or so, s the problem should go away by itself soon...

Back
Top Bottom