Good box wine

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So we are feeling poor right now (actually just a short term cash flow issue, really) and so tonight I decided to go back to box wine. It certainly has improved since last time I went there! I'm drinking Almaden(sp) Red Sangria, at it's quite tasty, so much so that I'm on my third glass, so you'll have to excuse any spelling errors (hic!). ;)

Any of y'all frugal types have any cheep booze recommendations? CAVEAT: DW has to find it tolerable as well! :D

As long as we are open to bottles, "Two-Buck-Chuck" from Traider Joes is hard to beat. Sharaz and Sauv.. Blanc are my favorites.

Brat, you're in WA. Have you tried the Tindindi yet? As the article I linked above says, "they're so much better in every way that they blow poor "Three- Buck Chuck" out of the water."

Good sugestions all. thanks! I have now had another 3 glasses from the box, plus a few Jack and Cokes, and I am now doing very well, thank you. Wow, I'm really drunk, typing is hard. Block parties rule. My neighbors are awersome. yah. huh. huh. :D

Laurence said:
Good sugestions all. thanks!  I have now had another 3 glasses from the box, plus a few Jack and Cokes, and I am now doing very well, thank you.  Wow, I'm really drunk, typing is hard.  Block parties rule.  My neighbors are awersome.  yah.  huh. huh.  :D

Love this post! A good yuck to start my day............ :)

JG

Brat said:
As long as we are open to bottles, "Two-Buck-Chuck" from Traider Joes is hard to beat.  Sharaz and Sauv.. Blanc are my favorites. 

Sadly, we can't buy "Two Buck Chuck" here. At least I can't find it.

JG

A friend of mine was commissioned to build a wine rack for a new expensive home. He was asking me how I thought it should be built. I said, just put up a shelf. He looked at me like I was nuts. I said I buy mine by the box! I don’t think box wine is socially acceptable to some people judging from the look I got then.

Lazarus said:
A friend of mine was commissioned to build a wine rack for a new expensive home. He was asking me how I thought it should be built. I said, just put up a shelf. He looked at me like I was nuts. I said I buy mine by the box! I don’t think box wine is socially acceptable to some people judging from the look I got then.

I'll admit that some box wine is every bit as good as what we drink from the bottle. Still, we almost never buy it. IT's an esthetics thing with me.
Not sure about DW.

JG

Yeah, Imagine going to a fancy restaurant. The waiter comes out with a box of wine under his arm, with a linen napkin wrapped around it. Wine sir? As he turns the spigot. Red under one arm, white under the other. Paper cups. Not the same effect is it?

If cost is your consideration make your own. A small investment in ingredients and equipment, a little space and your in business. A few years ago Canada imposed a severe alcohol tax. Wine kits then sprang up, at first questionable quality, now there right up there with the best wines and at a fraction of the price. You can get ingredients from the best wine growing areas in the world. Now they are widely available in the US. You pay anywhere from $40 to over $100 for a kit, and can get 30 bottles of wine. So far we've made a very good Zinfandel from a kit and are aging some cherry, raspberry, a black raspberry melomel (a honey mead but with fruit). These are not kit wines but we use the same equipment. We hope to start another Zin kit once a carboy frees up. The equipment is reasonable and you learn a lot about wine in the process. Of course it's not instant gratification it does take a while for a good wine to get that way.........Shredder

Lazarus said:
...Paper cups...

Actually, I always prefer paper cups when available. They are always cleaner than glass, especially when the glasses are washed by hand. I learned that from a bartender friend who always asks for paper cups when we go for drinks.

Laurence said:
Good sugestions all. thanks!  I have now had another 3 glasses from the box, plus a few Jack and Cokes, and I am now doing very well, thank you.  Wow, I'm really drunk, typing is hard.  Block parties rule.  My neighbors are awersome.  yah.  huh. huh.  :D

Stay away from that Ford 750  of yours :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Lazarus said:
Yeah, Imagine going to a fancy restaurant. The waiter comes out with a box of wine under his arm, with a linen napkin wrapped around it. Wine sir? As he turns the spigot. Red under one arm, white under the other.

At least you hope the waiter or waitress (PC) works out at the gym. Nothing worse then a gallon of vino landing on your head or toes. :D

Wabmaster, I haven't tried Tindindi yet but I will look for it.  I am working off my inventory of Two-Buck and when company comes the top of the line stuff we hauled back from AU a while back. 

Laurence said:
Ugh, oh, the pain....morning comes too soon.  :eek:  :LOL:

At least save some money and use Old Mr. Boston in your Coke. That Jack is supoposed to go down neat.

Ha

Hey, they bought the bottle and offered me the drinks. Free booze rules. That's LBYM, right? :D

Laurence said:
Hey, they bought the bottle and offered me the drinks.  Free booze rules.  That's LBYM, right?  :D

It could be THE metaphor for LBYM :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom