Nevermind, I'm staying in San Diego

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8641667/

Anybody live in the Pheonix or Las Vegas area? The quote that gets me is:

"Las Vegas dipped below 115 for the first time in five days"

It got to 85 here today and we were whining....hey all you Texans, does it do that kind of heat in your neck of the woods/desert:confused: YOWSA!!

I'm staying in my maritime climate too... wearing a sweater summer and winter is much more comfortable (and safer). Take that heat and ....

Jealous. :mad: :-*

If I had the pot some on this board do, would probably be living in San Diego now. 8)

Laurence said:

Anybody live in the Pheonix or Las Vegas area?  The quote that gets me is:

"Las Vegas dipped below 115 for the first time in five days"

It got to 85 here today and we were whining....hey all you Texans, does it do that kind of heat in your neck of the woods/desert:confused:  YOWSA!! 

DW and I were discussing this yesterday. Here ( northern Illinois) we were
fishing, it was very humid and we were frying our brains. Temp. was only maybe
high 80s. I told her that I recall Texas hitting 107, 108, 109 every day for a week. I never noticed the humidity in the time I lived there (4 years).
The natives would tell me the humidity was high and I just laughed.
Now, this is north Texas (Dallas area). If you get near the coast it's a
totally different deal.

JG

Laurence said:

It got to 85 here today and we were whining....hey all you Texans, does it do that kind of heat in your neck of the woods/desert:confused: YOWSA!!

Cental Texas temps run in the mid to upper 90's from early June through late September. Usually tops the 100 mark a few times each summer, so this is no place for wimps... ;)

REW

But its a dry heat  :D

It was 105 yesterday and has been at least 100 for the past 7-8 days with a few more before we get a "cooling off" to high 90s.  

I have lived in many very hot and humid areas and prefer the dry heat and cold in the mountain west to the nasty clinging soppy humidity in the southeast, midwest and deep south.

My wife would love to move back to CA but I don't want to pay the price of living there in taxes and RE prices.  While we do have hot summers and long snowy winters; it is still not as uncomfortable as northern IL where I moved from.  

But..... I would not like Phoenix or Las Vegas as it is too dry too hot and too brown.

Been hot as hell here in Mississippi too. My nephew doesn't know it yet, but I'm gonna crash with him during the month of August when I retire. He lives in Vail and the temps are just right that time of year.  :cool:

Sixty six degrees right now on the edge of lake superior. This is why we live here. Can't beat the summer.

Martha said:
Sixty six degrees right now on the edge of lake superior.  This is why we live here.  Can't beat the summer.

Perhaps I could crash with you for a couple of weeks in July.  8)

Then Martha can visit you in January after the lakes freeze. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate -40.

Well Greg and I love Mississippi. We spent a bunch of time there last February. We went to nearly empty campgrounds in our motorhome. Went hiking. The people were nice. It was like they thought it was winter, but it was really summer.

I'd like to go back soon.

I'm with you, Martha. Love those 60s and below. It's been high 80s and low 90s here for weeks and I HATE it. Give me -20 and snow anytime!

kz
a true Wisconsinite

Where I live, it's been in the low 90's. I hate ACs and use fans to keep cool indoors. I can handle temps in the upper 90's. It does get a little tough when the humidy gets above 70%.
I continue to use my bike but try to ride in the shade where I can. I hate it when I am outdoors and have to go indoors with high running AC. I probably cought my currrent chest cold at my gym where you get to sweat in the comforts of a cold 68 degree weigh room. Very natural.

I don't mind the super cold, where it is more than 40 below for a few days. Interesting things happen. Throw a pail of water out the door and watch the water freeze into lovely crystals before it falls to the ground.

What I can't stand is day in day out below freezing for months and dark, dark, dark.

Martha said:
Well Greg and I love Mississippi.  We spent a bunch of time there last February.  We went to nearly empty campgrounds in our motorhome.  Went hiking.  The people were nice.  It was like they thought it was winter, but it was really summer.

I'd like to go back soon.

Were you anywhere near Meridian? We are in the central part of the state near the Alabama state line.

BTW, the Natchez Trace is a pretty drive if you do visit here again.
http://www.nps.gov/natt/pphtml/activities.html

Well, you'll probably love Thailand then MJ.  My primary problem with my temporary exile candidate locales is the fact that I don't like the heat.  I don't even mind the northern winters, and might even prefer them if they were just a few months shorter.  I may need to take another look at Chile/Argentina...

MJ said:
Where I live, it's been in  the low 90's. I hate ACs and use fans to keep cool indoors. I can handle temps in the upper 90's.

We did the Natchez Trace Dog50. Stayed in free campgrounds with only a couple of other campers. It was lovely. Really like Natchez as well. But we couldn't find a place to buy the WSJ or Economist. :-[

I think I told this story before, but just outside of Natchez along the Mississippi I was taking the dogs for a trot along the river. I had to stop because some firemen were shooting water from their firehouse across the riverwalk into the river. They stopped to let me by and said "sorry for the water mam--we have a hose, we have to play with it."

Love those southerners.

Hey Martha, DW and I will be in Wisconsin the week of Labor day, how's the weather then? If we were toying with buying something to hold onto for retirement up there, where would you recommend looking?

Ran a quick 5k last night, humidity was so high I think I lost 5 pounds of water by the end. :p

Martha said:
We did the Natchez Trace Dog50.  Stayed in free campgrounds with only a couple of other campers.  It was lovely.  Really like Natchez as well.  But we couldn't find a place to buy the WSJ or Economist.  :-[

I think I told this story before, but just outside of Natchez along the Mississippi  I was taking the dogs for a trot along the river.  I had to stop because some firemen were shooting water from their firehouse across the riverwalk into the river.  They stopped to let me by and said  "sorry for the water mam--we have a hose, we have  to play with it." 

Love those southerners.

Yeah........we love to play with our hoses.   >:D

Laurence, what part of Wisconsin are you visiting and what type of property would you like?

Far north tends to be very nice in early September. Nights can be cold. Less bugs. But heat waves are not unheard of in early September.

Lake property has become very expensive in Wisconsin. We used to blame the FIBS. (F----g Illinois Bastards).

I am not all that familiar with central and southern Wisconsin. I do know the northern part well. Country is sandy, lots of forests and lakes. Very beautiful and suited for many outdoor sports.

Martha said:
Laurence, what part of Wisconsin are you visiting and what type of property would you like?

Far north tends to be very nice in early September. Nights can be cold. Less bugs. But heat waves are not unheard of in early September.

Lake property has become very expensive in Wisconsin. We used to blame the FIBS. (F----g Illinois Bastards).

I am not all that familiar with central and southern Wisconsin. I do know the northern part well. Country is sandy, lots of forests and lakes. Very beautiful and suited for many outdoor sports.

Which one is farther (further?) north, Tomah or Wassah (sp? -Trombone Al is frothing at the mouth at this point), because I always get it mixed up, but the clan is in the further north one. Yeah, if I moved there, it would have to be lake front, I'd have to "live the dream". I already have a house in the burbs.

Wausau is further north than Tomah. On the Wisconsin river which runs through downtown and Rib Mountain state park is next to town. Been there a few times and know the owner of Granite Peak Ski Area (on Rib Mountain).

Nice place.

Martha said:
Wausau is further north than Tomah. On the Wisconsin river which runs through downtown and Rib Mountain state park is next to town. Been there a few times and know the owner of Granite Peak Ski Area (on Rib Mountain).

Nice place.

Thanks! Looking forward to the trip. We really like her grandparents, but we ah, don't factor that into our equation for whether or not to retire there. :-\

Laurence--If you're looking at buying, it might be worth taking some time to look at river front properties in Wisconsin. I think they are often overlooked by out of staters, so they don't get bid up as high. Also look at fixer-uppers. Lots of handymen in Wisconsin that would work on your place for modestly discounted rent. You could retire to a fully paid for mansion when you're ready.

--Greg

Hmmmm, good thoughts, now pardon my ignorance, but out here in So Cal our rivers run 3 months a year and you can step over them. These rivers large enough for a power boat?

Back
Top Bottom