The only thing worse than inflation ...

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
... is a bad metaphor to describe it.

``We cannot let the equivalent of sclerosis block the arteries and disrupt the workings'' of the economy, Fisher said. ``Nor can we let the inflation virus infect the blood supply and poison the system.''

I cringed when I heard this today.   Inflation I can deal with, but those metaphors?   Ouch!

(FWIW, sclerosis means "hardening" not "blocking," and viruses are not a poison.)    Now, if he had called inflation an "edema," I would still cringe in disgust, but at least he'd be somewhat accurate.    Eh, what should I expect from the president of the Dallas fed except lots of flatulence anyways.

wab said:
... is a bad metaphor to describe it.

``We cannot let the equivalent of sclerosis block the arteries and disrupt the workings'' of the economy, Fisher said. ``Nor can we let the inflation virus infect the blood supply and poison the system.''

I cringed when I heard this today.   Inflation I can deal with, but those metaphors?   Ouch!

(FWIW, sclerosis means "hardening" not "blocking," and viruses are not a poison.)    Now, if he had called inflation an "edema," I would still cringe in disgust, but at least he'd be somewhat accurate.    Eh, what should I expect from the president of the Dallas fed except lots of flatulence anyways.

Metaphors are like sarcasm. If you are not good at it, it is painfully
obvious.

JG

Back
Top Bottom