This Forum Is A Living Breathing Growing Life Forum

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Everyday lately the total membership grows.

1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 at this moment.

We'll be marking the 2000th member soon - do they get a special ER Forum door prize?

Are we snowballing (sorry just came in from removing 6 inches of wet snow and having a sb fight with 19 year old son - he won - :( better eyes and arm ) into some mighty large ER portal?

Dory - Will you consider giving us a share when you we sell out to Google or MS? :)
How would you determine who gets one and how large? Would it be quality of the posts :cool:
Would it be quantity of posts or the date registered ::)

With warm regards and admiration,
DanTien

DanTien said:
Dory - Will you consider giving us a share when we sell out to Google or MS? :)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reminds me of the little boy who returned home from hunting with his father and told his mom: "Mommy! Mommy! We killed a bear! Daddy shot him!" ;)

Reminds me of the little boy who returned home from hunting with his father and told his mom:  "Mommy! Mommy!  We killed a bear!  Daddy shot him!"

Don't be so quick to dismiss our value ;) .  I watch sports sometimes, and the players interviewed at the end often say something to the effect of, "If it wasn't for our great fans, we wouldn't be where we are today".

So the percentage of interest will most likely be set by number of posts?

And all this time it just appeared that MRGAULT2U just had an opinion on everything, but now we know his real intent :LOL:

Now, if I can just think of 5600 new subjects to post on so I can catch up....

Maybe shares will be issued by Dory based on those forum participants who have come forth with financial support for the forum.....  8)

Sheryl said:
Maybe shares will be issued by Dory based on those forum participants who have come forth with financial support for the forum..... 8)
Should probably be based on the size of one's endowment. :cool:

Uh-oh - CubeRat better change her avatar again.

Sheryl said:
Maybe shares will be issued by Dory based on those forum participants who have come forth with financial support for the forum..... 8)

You can show your support for the forum by going to the FIRECalc results page http://www.fireseeker.com/results.asp and clicking on one of the two available links to contribute either via PayPal or directly via credit card. :)

Dory will be expecting a sizable contribution from DanTien...and cube_rat :D

REWahoo! said:
You can show your support for the forum by going to the FIRECalc results page http://www.fireseeker.com/results.asp and clicking on one of the two available links to contribute either via PayPal or directly via credit card. :)

Dory will be expecting a sizable contribution from DanTien...and cube_rat :D
:D
Did the Paypal route back in Sept!
Dory already knows about me and my endowment. :angel:
Hopefully he goes by that instead of quantity, length of service or quality. :)

azanon said:
Don't be so quick to dismiss our value ;) . I watch sports sometimes, and the players interviewed at the end often say something to the effect of, "If it wasn't for our great fans, we wouldn't be where we are today".

Although I don't go to watch sports events, i'd like to see these greatful players show their appreciation by pulling their millions and buying all the seats of a stadium for 1 day per season and letting in their great fans for free. ;)

() said:
...I'm not sure which right now, but i'm leaning towards creepy ;)
I accept you just the way you are (), as long as you're not hurting nobody. :D

I see what you mean about creepy, I guess it's all in the mind of the beholder :D
You're a bigger poster than me - 5964 posts!
I have post envy.

Eh, its not the size of the post or the size of the post count, but the Mrs. will be upset if you "retire too early"

ER Forum members

Jan 10 = 2005

Dec 30 = 1956

2/28 Member 2212 - FC4free

12/30 Members 1956

60 days - 256 new members

13% increase

I smell a major Web Portal a growing.

Can I get in on the IPO Dory? :)

How's the ad revenue? roughly keeping track with membership?

We're getting rich at the rate of a little under $2 per day.

:eek:

DanTien said:
2/28 Member 2212 - FC4free

12/30 Members 1956

60 days - 256 new members

13% increase

I smell a major Web Portal a growing.

Can I get in on the IPO Dory? :)

Yeah, but how many new members are named Jennifer and signed up yesterday? They don't count.

Interesting idea on the web portal. I've been toying with the idea of a more robust and featureful site and trying to monetize it with ads (the non-evil kind like Google) or even add-ons like a FIREcalc-like calculator with access to proprietary returns data for slice-n-dicers. (Just an idea...haven't checked into the actual feasibility or cost of that.) Of course I've been thinking in terms of my own site (although I definitely don't want to take away anything from the existing forums I visit). It's technologically feasible to do it on dory36's site, but it's a lot of work to set up and maintain such things and I haven't begun to imagine how that could work out moneywise. Last I heard his revenue just about covers server costs, but the ads may have improved that.

Such a site would never compare with the breadth of features Yahoo, LiveJournal and MySpace have, but on the other hand it might be attractive to have a personal-finance-minded community without all the blogs of junior high schoolers. Imagine Nords' book corner, brewer's stock picks, CFB's computer tip of the week.... :D

I hadn't seen this thread before and didn't know we knew who the 2000th user was. It wasn't until after that I noticed the user and message ID's weren't in sync with the statistics.

dory36 said:
We're getting rich at the rate of a little under $2 per day.

:eek:

Since I have no clue what it takes to maintain a site like this, what are cash costs like (not including labor)?

It's a bit hard to answer precisely, because of the way the costs are incurred -- sort of like estimating the costs of using an otherwise empty room in your house.

But the realistic costs are probably in the ballpark of $100/month.

The getting started costs are a lot lower than that, as someone can start a new forum without anywhere near the need for disk space and bandwidth that we use, and could opt not to do on- and off-site backups nightly.

There are currently 3045 members - 1100 more than this time last year - I suspect that some members have used more than one identity (for those that might want to purge their past how do those folks put the past behind them?)

What caught my eye is that there are currently 33 members signed on and 168 180 189 guests browsing!!! That's a lot more guests than I've ever seen before...

Has someone been talking to the press ;)

DanTien said:
What caught my eye is that there are currently 33 members signed on and 168 180 guests browsing!!! That's a lot more guests than I've ever seen before...

Has someone been talking to the press ;)

I'll bet some of those guests are members who, like me, sometimes browse before logging in.

Back
Top Bottom