Dog Advice Needed

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We had to put our beloved geriatric dog to sleep on December 20th. I won't go into to details as it's too painful right now (waterworks will surely follow).

My SO and I adopted a 3 year old rat terrier (for those who don't know the breed: a mixture of beagle, greyhound and whippet) a week ago who's just wonderful, cute, friendly and eager to please. Well, he's had *accidents*..... Piles and piddles on the first floor (1st floor no capert - 2nd floor has carpet). Okay, we could work around that. However, I come to find this evening that he's peed in my bed today, on my side :mad: and I'm not happy to say the least. I spent the last hour de-peeing my bed. I don't want to give up this wonderful dog over *accidents*. Is there someone out there who had a similar problem that could share a workable solution. Thanks

He is trying to show dominance - he thinks it is his territory. Can be common in male dogs that believe they are the top dog in the house. No I am not joking.

REWahoo! said:
Yep. It's called a "fenced back yard". :)

I have a small toilet yard with an accessible doggy door. :)

We have two dogs but neither has ever pee'd in the bed.  Sounds like you need to get a book on doggy behaviour.  When did he pee in the bed?  Was it when you were gone?  Or was he mad at you?  If you were gone, it could be separation anxiety or maybe he's just trying to mark his territory because it's new surroundings.   Just my 2 cents but I would definitely check out the behavioural books.

You need a big bottle of Nature's Miracle. Use it liberally on carpet and you can use it in the laundry also. It will remove all traces of urine so your dog won't be attracted back to spots.

Get your pup on a routine. Show him how to tell you he needs to go out. I tie bells to the door and ring them every time I take them out to do their business. He'll soon learn to ring the bells to tell you. Don't discipline mistakes. Instead, reward good behavior.

In the meantime, don't allow him on the bed unless invited and then keep an eye on him. Once you trust him fully, let him back on the bed. He may be 3, but it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks.

My mutt is a rat terrier mix. He's a real love.

A terrier is the most difficult to house train, they have oodles of personality, but they are tough to teach about going outside.

My Yorkie is almost a year old and still goes occasionally inside, although I realsie afterwards he was trying to tell me.

That can be domination or anxiety problems. It could also be a medical problem related to the bladder or a number of other things.

Check with your vet. Neutering resolves problem peeing about half the time. There are also a variety of hormone and anti-anxiety drugs that could help get him over the problem. Crating him when he's not supervised and taking him outside directly to pee after releasing him from the crate may also help 'train' him against this.

Lots of causes and treatments...a trip to the vet is your best first bet.

He may be overwhelmed by his new home. I would look into getting him a nice cosy kennel (crate) and read about crate training him. I babygate my dogs in the kitchen when I'm gone and they are good in there. When I leave them out they just don't know what to do.

REWahoo! said:
Yep.  It's called a "fenced back yard". :)

I have a new puppy, doggie doors and a fenced yard. I have a new puppy that is proficient at coming back from the fenced yard into the house. I have a new puppy that refuses to go in the other direction. He acts afraid of the outdoors and the sun room through which he must pass. He is also afraid of the television (next to the exit) even when it is off. He is spooked most by reflections and cannot either figure out or ignore windows (reflections, seeing people on the other side, etc.) but is not as afraid of mirrors. He is young. My fingers are crossed.

Definately get him to the vet. After that make sure you take him out frequently to the same spot and praise him when he does what he's suppose to. Crate training might be needed or just confinement to one area of the house such as the kitchen (with his blankie) when you are gone. He might be trying to tell you he needs to go but you're missing the signal, it took us about a week to figure out what ours was doing as a signal (pacing) now he does that AND touches the door nob. Work with him, he'll get better and turn out to be a nice dog.

cuberrat, I would take him to the vet for a check-up. Do you know this dog's history? Might give you some clues as to his behavior.

Assuming that there is nothing medically wrong, I think the solution is likely to be crate-training. Here is a link: http://www.brewbeagles.org/crate-training.php

I would not give the dog up. He just needs housebreaking, either for the first time or a refresher.

What is a Rat Terrier?

I own a Yorkshire Terrier, bred specifically to fight Rats in Mine Shafts,Jack Russells, Cairns, Norfolks etc, bred along similar needs.

Technically, they are all Ratters, that is why they tend to have strong, independant personalities inspite of their small size.

Mine barks a lot, especially when the phone rings, but that is his character.

wildcat said:
He is trying to show dominance - he thinks it is his territory. Can be common in male dogs that believe they are the top dog in the house. No I am not joking.

Bingo. I raised 4 dogs from 1985-2004, and am now raising 3 more (all rescues), including
a nearly 100 lb Leonberger puppy (1.5 years old). Most had anxiety and/or dominance
problems at first.

1) Praise him when he does it right. Carry or follow him outside every few hours,
and praise him when he pees outside

2) Try to catch him in the act, and verbally correct him (while grabbing him and
carrying him outside)

3) When playing with him in general, be dominant (until the roles are established).
-Pick him up, flip him over while holding him, and rub his belly.
-When playing with him on the ground, roll him over on his back alot.
-Do not let him jump up into a position where he is looking down at you
-When you play tug games, win.
-When you correct him with a "NO", roll him onto his back
etc
None of this means you ever need to be rough with him, just firm.

If you cannot put your face down into his food bowl without him
growling, he does not recognize you as dominant yet

Once roles are established, you can let him win, etc.

Thanks everyone! Great advice here!

He's definitely "high maintenance" when it comes to attention. His face and body language screams: ME! ME! and MORE ME!!! He's also high energy and literally springs, not jumps, when trying to get on top of the furniture.

Here's a little more about the breed:

http://www.ratterrierclub.com/standard/index.html

First I praise you for adopting and not purchasing a dog! Second, I agree a trip to the vet's is in order, and then exercise and training come in to play.
Obedience training, done correctly with praise, will give an anxious dog confidence and let a dominant dog know his place in the pack. Try fun things like agility training or flyball.....rat terriers do very well with both of these.
Terriers by nature are energetic and tenatious (and terribly cute), these traits are endearing but can be troublesome when a pooch doesn't get the proper exercise....remember, a tired dog is a good dog! Can't get into too much trouble when they are sleeping... ;)

Adventuregirl

Adventuregirl said:
remember, a tired dog is a good dog! Can't get into too much trouble when they are sleeping... ;)

Adventuregirl

Amen to that, I've spent many nights after work throwing the ball/frisbee/stick for the dog or walking or just playing to both unwind myself from the commute and to expend my labs energy. It gave us both quality time to determine that "I'm" the alpha dog, build his confidence and give him the obedience training he needed.

If it's anything like our Jack Russell, pretty soon you'll have little foxholes all over the yard too.

Quite frequently, all I can see is dirt flying and her butt up in the air with the stubby little tail wagging like crazy.

johnlw said:
If it's anything like our Jack Russell, pretty soon you'll have little foxholes all over the yard too.

Quite frequently, all I can see is dirt flying and her butt up in the air with the stubby little tail wagging like crazy.

Heh, is that better or worse than what my beagles are doing when all I can see is the rear end? This usually means they are snarfing down poop.

"These turdcicles are awful good..."

Could be worse. You could have cats AND dogs, where the cats manufacture the 'treats' for the dogs.
:p

() said:
Could be worse.  You could have cats AND dogs, where the cats manufacture the 'treats' for the dogs.

Let me put it this way: we have a cat, too. :-X

Man, it's good to know that someone else other than me gets the experience of having their dog eating the cat litter box "nonpareils"

() said:
Could be worse.  You could have cats AND dogs, where the cats manufacture the 'treats' for the dogs.

Ugh. I have a cat too, so I know what you mean.

Outtahere said:
Amen to that,  I've spent many nights after work throwing the ball/frisbee/stick for the dog or walking or just playing to both unwind myself from the commute and to expend my labs energy.

Yup, we know the feeling. One of our dogs is a lab/blue heeler and he could play ball until the cows come home whereas the other dog is a sheltie/blue heeler and just likes to walk and walk and walk.

Back
Top Bottom