Now, for better or worse.....

hodadus

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone. I am 41, wife of 14 years is 40, with one kid in 4th grade. My primary goal is to have our home paid for in five years which in turn will hopefully help us get FI and be able to RE by age 50 - 56. Both of us are prior military, I was a squid, she was a wingnut. Now both with the govt. We can both retire with full benefits at 56 and 57, but would like to go earlier.

We got a taste of freedom (what I call ER) two years ago when we paid off our first home in 10 years. We did it by LBOM, some hard work, and luck. The freedom didn't last long, because even though we sold that house for almost twice what we paid for it, we bought a more expensive home. The good news is that we are on the 2nd year of a 7 year plan to have this one paid for.

I am concidered a bit unusual at work, because I really do like my job. Imagine that, a happy govt worker. But I do want to be able to do whatever it is I want to do, whenever I want to do it. That may even include staying at my job after I am FI and ready to RE. Probably not, but at least that will be by choice and not by necessity. It saddens me to see so many people that have to work well past their eligibility date. Also seen too many that never made it, and ones that were gone within a year of retiring.

We each put the IRS maximum into our 401(K)s, spread out amongst: s&p 500, small cap, intl, and bond funds . Shove a decent amount monthly into an education fund for the offspring. Also have an emergency stash.

We live in the Rocky Mountain region and are a snowboarding family. I am a fish out of water here,... grew up surfing (Carribbean and FL), continued it while stationed in CA in both S.D. and Long Beach. Gave it up, "temporarily", when I got orders to Lowery AFB in Denver, CO.

Cut-Throat,.... I try to wet a fly as often as I can, but won't hesitate to throw a panther martin, mepps, or rapala if the conditions warrant. Make a trek and float the "A" section of the Green below Flamining George, 2-3 times a year. Never fished MT or WY, but hoping to,... maybe this year.

I am not much of a wrencher, but do get a lot of satisfaction working on my 4runner.

Play in a "ball" hockey rec-league at local university, city rec-league softball and pick-up flag football. Assistant coach for my son's soccer team. Try to take one internet course per semester (hasn't happened lately). Couch-potato reading financial material the rest of the time.

In case you are wondering about the moniker: "Hodadus", check out the definition at http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hodad

Last but not least, I have posted my last "open" forum political message. What was I thinking,... I was taught to never discuss politics or religion amongst friends. And before I even introduced myself to my new friends, I went and broke that rule.

Thanks for the powerful information of so many learned minds on this site, and for indulging me with my long rambling intro.

alan a.k.a. hodad

Thats a pretty good game plan. I didn't get serious about saving until 40+ and the house was paid off at 50+ (but there was this little divorce thing that set this all back, don't go there). The best thing is your consciousness to save and LBYM. Those alone will make the difference. Now throwing in a good diversified investment plan and some paid off real estate and you really do get to FI, which IMHO, is what*it* is all about. I always thought I would leave work the minute I was elligible to retire or FI but I find myseelf staying on as I too am a Govt worker who like his job. And there are some potential financial issues that I want additional reserves. But if I don't like what I'm doing I can't blame anyone else since I am choosing to be there.
Anyway welcome, you will find a lot of kindred spirits here. Now all you have to do is change that "float" to kayak and you have it made.

Welcome to the board, Alan! Sounds like you're well on your way...

yakers said:
Now all you have to do is change that "float" to kayak and you have it made.

I have used my brother's sea kayak to scoot arround some of the mangroves in FL in search of snook or any other finned species.  Loved it, and look forward to doing it agan whenever I want to.

alan

Cut-Throat,.... I try to wet a fly as often as I can, but won't hesitate to throw a panther martin, mepps, or rapala if the conditions warrant. Make a trek and float the "A" section of the Green below Flamining George, 2-3 times a year. Never fished MT or WY, but hoping to,... maybe this year.

Hodad,

I have fished the 'A' and 'B' sections of the Green. I fished it one trip in late April 1995. - The Bighorn is closer to me, so I go there more often.

Welcome to the board. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom