Finally Free

Retire Soon

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, I finally made the giant leap today.  I signed and mailed in my resignation to our personnel department.  After 20 years in teaching, my  career will come to an end June 16th. I have to tell you, it was the most agonizing decision I've ever made.

A real estate agent just left  a few minutes ago.  Our San Diego home will be listed on the MLS April 1st.  If all goes well, we'll be relocated  to Bend, Oregon before the end of June, where we own a house, free and clear. 

I'd like to thank everyone on Early Retirement Forum for all of your encouragement and advice.  I'll be celebrating my birthday this month and am looking forward to being financially independent and retired at 55.

Retire Soon

:D 55 is a nice age to be doing it! I hope to make that! Why Bend, OR? I live in SD now, and I would think I'd miss the nice weather, even though I find that area very pretty.

Laurence said:
:D 55 is a nice age to be doing it! I hope to make that! Why Bend, OR? I live in SD now, and I would think I'd miss the nice weather, even though I find that area very pretty.

Laurence there are a lot of places that have nicer weather than South Dakota! You need to get out more often. :D

Congratulations, if I had to leave San Diego, Bend would be high on my list of choises. I'm hoping San Diego will feel a little less crowded when you leave. ;)

congratulations. Please keep posting about your exit and relocation, I am sure you will have great info the rest of us can learn from.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it!

Dreamer

Congrats Retire Soon, I'm sure you'll wake up the first day and be a new person :)

Congratulations! Man, it seems like there have been a lot of retirement announcements here lately.

Awesome, Retire Soon! I'm jealous. You've saved a lot of time for really living. Enjoy every bit of it.

Coach

Martha said:
Congratulations!  Man, it seems like there have been a lot of retirement announcements here lately. 
Selection bias? No one would bother posting here about going back to work...

Hey, congratulations!!

Yeah, but what are you going to do all day?? :D :D :D

Congrats to you RS. I guess you have to come up with a new id like "Retired not Soon enough"

Although my 1st move will probably be Tuscon, I have though about various parts of OR. I want have a home base in a very bicycle friend city even if I will be away 6 to 8 months out of the year.

Cut-Throat said:
Laurence there are a lot of places that have nicer weather than South Dakota! You need to get out more often. :D

Yeah, plus I hear the state senate is proposing a bill to make women wear burkas here, I should think of moving... ;)

RetireSoon,

Congratulations, I know we all look forward to hearing about your transitions.

samclem

Congratulations -- retirement and a move out of Southern California. (My home town too.) Enjoy your new found freedom! Don't blame you for the move. SC is getting very congested with all the new home building. Did your medical insurance transfer out of State?

Congrats... as a Norcal weenie I wish I were ready to move out of CA too!

I appreciate all of the congratulations.  Yes, we will miss the perfect San Diego weather, and realize it will take a while to adjust to a new climate.  By contract, my school district is required to provide health insurance for my wife and me until the age of 65 and at the present time our group policy is portable.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Retire Soon

My last day of teaching was Thursday.  I gave my 34  students a classroom party to celebrate the last day of school, which included a showing of, "Summer of the Monkeys" and a hot dog barbeque.  My wife who always wanted to see me teach was able to do so  last week, as she retired at the end of May. She helped me in the classroom a few days the last week, including the last day of school. 

We had our customary memory book signing on the last day also.  It was fun watching the kids writing things in each others'  books. What was really amusing is that they actully lined up to get my wife's autograph as well. I guess the 5th graders thought it was exciting to get the signature of the teacher's wife.

The teachers' union gave me a nice  party the previous week, while my school gave me a retirement party a few days later. I enjoyed seeing people I had worked with before, but may have not seen them for several years (we have a large school district).  Most people congratulated me, while a couple of retirees said, "You're too young to retire."  Many people, however, admitted that they were envious.

It feels good not to have to go to work anymore. I am used to having the summers off anyway, so the euphoria may not fully blossom until the middle of August when I usually begin preparing my classroom for a new school year.

We've had our San Diego home listed now since April 8th.  We've had  2 offers, but our agent advised us to decline both, because they were contigent upon the sale of their own homes, which were extremely overpriced. 

Now that school is out, I think more people will be looking at homes. I view the present time as a slowly closing window of opportunity to sell our home before there is a critical slowdown in real estate in this area. Once our home is sold and closes escrow, we'll be living in a less expensive area.

I want to thank  Early Retirement Forum for all of your insight into helping  me make the decision to retire early. I feel that I am now in a totally new and exciting phase of  life with have far less stress and hopefully more happiness.

Retire Soon

What a wonderful post!  Very many congratulations on your Early Retirement.  So inspirational.

Retire Soon said:
We had our customary memory book signing on the last day also.  It was fun watching the kids writing things in each others'  books. What was really amusing is that they actully lined up to get my wife's autograph as well. I guess the 5th graders thought it was exciting to get the signature of the teacher's wife.

How sweet!

Congratulations, RetireSoon!!  I have admired so many of your postings over these last few months, and greatly admire your teaching career, your philosophy on life and the time we are given, health, activities, etc.  

Hope you (and we ALL) will enjoy many, many years of joy and fulfillment.

Was recently sent a bumper sticker from a catering business in Asheville, NC that so aptly states:   DON'T POSTPONE JOY!

It's there for us everyday.....and now is the time to go for it.  

Thank you, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom