Suffering from Burnout - Can I FIRE?

Congrats, Blue;
In a year or so, the memories of corporate life will have lost their sting. We all know what you've been going through. Hang in there -- breathe deeply, take a hot bath, take the wife to see a movie or take a long walk in the woods. Pretty soon you'll have your life back! June 1st! Nothing else matters. 8)

I agree although, I am having a really hard time swallowing their response(especially the part about announcing to all the global senior managers tht I would be staying until July despite a written letter infromaing them of a June 1 date without talking to me). However, does provide direct confirmation of the increasing toxicity of the environment and an escalation of the amoral behavior that I was finding impossible to tolerate.

My next moral delema is what do I do with the college new hire that shows up tomorrow. I was bummed when I realized I actually have 14 days of work left, not 10. I was raised in a manner that developed a strong inner moral obligtion to always do the very best I can at what I do.

I frankly feel like just occupying space preforming the minimum required for the next 3 weeks and letting them fend for themselves. However, I think that's a hard introduction to working life to the new hire(who was a top BS candidate and I successfully recruited away from many other firms) to throw him in the deep end of the pool with sharks and his hands tied behind his back with weights on his feet.

My Dad surprisingly(a very conservative ex-accounting professor) said sce*w them. You don't owe the company or the new hire any thing. This is modern business and the employment context was a non-contractual "at will" relationship. They can lay you off without a moments notice, all you are doing is laying them off with 3 weeks notice.

I somehow need to get through this sinusoidal cycle of being elatated that I showed enough commitment to regaining my health and family that I finally actually did it, and being pissed at Mega Corp and feeling guilty about abandoning the incoming babe in swaddling clothes. Tommorw, I get to have the Welcome to Tektronix day with the new hire and oh by the way I'm retieing in a few weeks.

The saga continues......

Have been enjoying your posts and feel the way you do about it all! I know I'll feel the same way about training my replacement. I think the way I'll approach it will be based on the person's attitude (how much s/he wants to learn, do they think they know it all as 30 (or under) somethings do, are they just there to collect a paycheck, how much energy are they putting into it). It's been my experience that a lot of new hires are more into establishing territory and getting together their creature comforts (which they refer to as organizing their new office) than really learning the essentials of the job and plunging in.

And I know I'll receive the exact same treatment you did when handing in my three week resignation June 12th. Will be urged to stay on to hire and train a replacement. When I try to negotiate as you did (higher hourly pay as a part-time consultant or paying me for my leave time that I will be forfeiting----I have over 400 hours and the company policy is that they'll only pay me for 160), it suddenly won't be so crucial for me to stay on!

Hopefully your last three weeks will go by quickly. You seem to be able to retain your perspective of why you're doing this and seem to have a drive to be as happy and healthy as possible (some people don't and would rather fuel their ego or pocketbook). I'm rooting for you and want to learn from you, so please keep posting....

First of my last three weeks is over, two more to go. Very strange experience after word started leaking out (The e-mail announcement they sent only went to the Global executive staff). To my peers and others in the organization I am being treating like some kind of folk hero. The executive staff are virtually ignoring me in public and treat me with subtle hostility in meetings.

When my analysts left they both were treated going away parties at fancy resaurants on the companies dime. My boss organized a "no host" (i,e, pay you own way) lunch at a local Pizza parlor for me on my last day :LOL: Do you think they're trying to send me a message?

They are kind of playing a game of chicken, they don;t want to treat me well, but they don;t want to piss me off too bad, beacuse I am walking out the door with some specialized knowledge and they are worried they might have to hire me back as a consultant to fix things.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
So, Tektronix is still around? Surprising, considering they missed so many trends and opportunities.

I have been referring to my current employer as MegaCorp. It may or may not be Tektronix. I suppose I've left enough bread crumbs about Portland for a clever and persistent investigator to form that hypothesis.

You are spot on in your assessment of Tektronix's inability to capitalize on market trends and their repeatedly demonstrated skill to screw up the new markets they do pursue. They are particularly gifted at killing acquisitions. They are still around because Tek knows how to design and build Oscilloscopes like no one else in the world (incuding Agilent).

These comments could be derived from publicly available information such as 10-K's, annual reports, newspapers etc.. I may or may not have any first hand knowledge. Tektronix has had a prominent place in the local economy for 60 years and I am familiar with many technology companies in the Portland area.

Perhaps June 3 would be a better date to continue this musing.

bluehero said:
Perhaps June 3 would be a better date to continue this musing.
Ed & I were just wondering when to sell the stock short...

bluehero said:
My Dad surprisingly(a very conservative ex-accounting professor) said sce*w them. You don't owe the company or the new hire any thing. This is modern business and the employment context was a non-contractual "at will" relationship.

I agree with your dad.

The light of that reality hit me mid-career while talking with a former academy classmate who later went on to be the Chief of Police for nearly a decade. I made some comment about my career and he said "Screw this place. This agency doesn't care about your or me and if we die tomorrow by the next year we will be completely forgotten. It's only a career to the extent that your needs and the machine's needs coincide and everything else is about taking care of you and your family."

Sadly, I suspect you're right.
Time was when the social contract between employer and employee meant more. It may not have been as efficient, but I think it was a lot more humane. Losing this level of partnership may also be a reason so many of us here are ERd or think about ERing one day. When you treat people like disposable pieces of a machine, they wear out (we call it burnout) and, if they can swing it, move on to something that has more sustainable meaning for them.

Well, I made the leap of faith and today was my last day. Came in late, turned in my badge, and flamed the HR rep at my exit interview. Boy did that feel good :D Actually I was quite well behaved, objective and honest. I assumed that since they were asking me all these questions they wanted real answers. I then delivered letters to the CEO and CFO stating several observations and concerns about certain aspects of operations. No whinning, just very carefully written statement of facts. I doubt they will take any action, but you never know.

I then went around to say goodbye to a few people and left. The balance of the day was magnificent especially when I reaized I don't have to go fishing tomorrow when it's raining, I can wait until Monday when it's going to be sunny!!!!!!!!

I am still so stunned it's 3 AM and I am too excited to sleep. Plenty of time for that later!

Outstanding Blue hero! It has been intersting to read your saga. It seems like all megacorps are getting more intense-my company sure has. Several of my old college buddies and I got together recently and the feedback that I received from them was the same - work harder w/ less compensation/perks and recognition.

CONGRATULATIONS! Life has restarted for you, detox, rest and enjoy!!!
Reading this forum has really made me reconsider my plan to wait until year-end to retire........I may have a new post in the near future as well!
Thanks for sharing your exit story -

I thought Plato wrote down what Socrates said. I definitely could be wrong. I admit I never look up anything before I post, just pulling as best I can from memory! :confused:

By the way, for those of you who were interested, my former employer was in fact Tektronix.

Congratulations and welcome to the ranks of the woefully underemployed!

bluehero said:
I doubt they will take any action, but you never know.

Based on the senior management I know, it'll take until their second drink after work to forget about it, decide its just sour grapes, or rationalize it away.

Any which way...it doesnt matter anymore! Woo hoo!

Blue,

You've made it my friend. Congrats and good riddance to Tektoxics ....

Take time to decompress, resist the temptation to peek into the deep dark cesspool of your old w*rk silo, recalibrate your life bearings, regain your true inner soul and enjoy life a day at a time.

Once you're immersed in your myriad of new activities, your previous life at Tektoxics would be but an obscure memory, hitherto key w*rkplace people will dissipate from your consciousness faster than you think.  After a while, the whole Tektoxics gang and saga would just be an irritating footnote in your life journey .... not worthy of your time or attention.

Recently, I bumped into a hot shot Class 1 toxic-spewing axxhxle from the old MegaCorp. I was amazed that this pathetic blob of decomposing biomass wasted many years of my life on issues of zero significance to this planet. I had this feeling of bittersweet rage and sadness tinged with incredulity (...you know, the Mona Lisa constipated expression) to the grim realisation that this perverse mutation of primate evolution somehow played a role in distracting me from many of life's simple pursuits and pleasures over the years. This person scurried away into oblivion before I could coil my torso to launch a nice drop kick to the soft breadbasket.  :eek:

Sadly, this lost soul and its kind will continue to spew and digest their own BS slurry to the still captive j*bslaves at the old MegaCorp gulag for some time.

Of course, the toil and drudgery will ultimately end for everyone either by disciplined self-planning and design (like many of us here) or via the decisions and machinations of others (downsizing, insolvency, etc.).    

Anyway, I salute you.

Good luck and much happiness in your exciting new life experience.  ;)

Under FIRE said:
I was amazed that this pathetic blob of decomposing biomass wasted many years of my life on issues of zero significance to this planet.
I didn't realize you knew my old manager :LOL:

Seriously folks, I do want to thank EVERYONE in this forum for helping set me free. Through intelligent playful banter and genuine concern, this community has helped turn me from a timid lurker into a bold man of action!!!! And subsequently a man of inaction (at least during the detox period :D).

I found ESRBob's book and commentary to be especially useful in confirming that I had done an adeqate job of planning and risk management. For those who haven't read it, it's an easy read that is neither preachy nor overly technical. It clearly presents all the issues(positive and negative) in a organized and objective manner and let's you decide if you're ready.

Boy was I ready! I volentarily got up @ 5:00 this morning just so I could see the sunrise and hear the birds chirp. That's just toooooo wierd!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

bluehero said:
Boy was I ready! I volentarily got up @ 5:00 this morning just so I could see the sunrise and hear the birds chirp. That's just toooooo wierd!!!

Naaahhh, that's not wierd. Just one of the symptoms of early stage ER! It's commonly referred to as "excited to be alive!" ;)

The next phase of ER is when you no longer bother looking at Dilbert strips, as they are now totally irrelevant!

Congrats!

dory36 said:
The next phase of ER is when you no longer bother looking at Dilbert strips, as they are now totally irrelevant!

Congrats!

Why? They are even more amusing (in a perverted sense) than they were when I was working.

Back
Top Bottom