Medical Question

OldAgePensioner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had an IV put into my mid-forearm last week. Now that vein is very large and sore above where it was placed and I can't find evidence of the vein below where is was put in.

Is this normal and will it eventually rectify whatever blackage there is?

Why would you take any chances? I think you have to much medical history to ignore it. It obvously doesn't feel or seem right to you. Please, call your doctor and find out if this is normal. Much better to error on the side of caution.

Ed, they seem hell bent on killing me. Maybe my moderate politics is too much for them :D

LL,
It's really like the vein just ends at that point and the rest is collapsed. Not sure what they would do. I've got an appointment coming up and I'll bring it up.

Jus thought someone may have had it happen to them. Seems kinda like the vein is collapsed below the IV point.

OAP, that don't sound right, and I've had an IV semi-permanently hanging outa my arm for daily Rocephin infusions when my chronic Lyme was (finally-) diagnosed. I never had any soreness or swelling or redness above, below, or at the needle site. I would see the doctor asap--or even the emergency room over the weekend. Good luck!

Rich, thanks for the PM. Good info.

Just to add detail, the vein from my elbow crease to mid forearm is turgid and feels about like having a mouse cable under the skin. Then suddenly at the IV puncture, boom, nothing no vein, nothing. Sort of feels like he IV clogged my vein and it won't unblock.

astromeria, yeah I also had several IVs while recovering at Northwestern and not a problem whatsoever.

But, this nurse from Ghana gave me three injections thru the IV withing 1 minute and each one was pushed in with force. Skaaaaswish. Hurt like hell.

Junkies have this problem.

Obviously it can't be normal. Get on down to the ER.

Now scram!

Ha

I see you posting again O. A. P. I'm glad that your arm didn't fall off or anything. Take care of yourself.

I feel your pain OAP. I had to sit with a Heparin lock for a couple days of injections for pituitary stimulation tests. Once they injected too fast and it started to go under the skin and burned and stung like crazy :(. If they are injecting you, tell em slow it down :p

Maddy,
this Nurse injected the morphine so fast it made a pssst noise. She was a real jerk.

But I survived for another day.

Back
Top Bottom