How did the USD do during stagflation?

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone know or see an easy chart of how the USD did in the 1966-1982 period? I suspect the trend was down, but I don't really know.

brewer12345 said:
Anyone know or see an easy chart of how the USD did in the 1966-1982 period?  I suspect the trend was down, but I don't really know.
I know that in 1983 it was sky-high against the Spanish peseta and stayed there for a couple years, and by 1984 it had started falling against the British pound but was still sky-high against the Portuguese escudo.  Europe sure was fun then...

"In the long term, we are all dead." John Maynard Keynes

When you consider other currencies of interest (euro, peso--numerous and many), who cares?

When I dispair at my own country's policies, I look at the international news--and I feel a whole lot better.

Besides, I am 50% in non-US equities. The benefits of diversification (one hopes).

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
"In the long term, we are all dead."  John Maynard Keynes

When you consider other currencies of interest (euro, peso--numerous and many), who cares?

Hi Ed,

Yeah, none of us will escape the grim reaper.

I might care a bit if -long term- the US$ tanks.

I'm not sure, but stuff at Wal Mart might cost more. Does that contribute to that inflation thingy?!? 8)

this reminds me of an old saw: there is only only thing more difficult (dangerous) to predict than interest rates ...  foreign exchange rates.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Hi, Lance,

Only if producer prices go up in China.    :D

Ed,

So the dollar can tank and the prices of chinese goods (in dollar terms) will not increase?

They will only increase as a result of increased producer prices in China?

Interesting 8)

Back
Top Bottom