Recommendation for a UPS

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need to purchase a back-up power supply to computers at home since I now have Vonage. THe models and prices are all over the map. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good UPS?? I don't want to spend more than $200. Thanks

i've been using apc for years with no problems. we get a lot of thunderstorms during the summers so lots of electric interruptions. last year i upgraded to model xs 800 for more time, just in time for all the hurricanes. came in very handy to track the storm on radar because even after we lose electric the phone company stays on battery power for a while.

for days after wilma i used the older, smaller backup to power my hand blender for protein shakes.

I've used APC as well on my computer system. Had to do it when in north Houston area with frequent power disruptions. Had it for almost 2 years now as an Xmas gift from DW.

It gives me about 10 minutes of time to save materials. With the software it comes with, it will shut down your Windows system automatically when there is about 5 minutes of battery power left.

Only glitch I've had is that it will sometime shut off momentarily on startup, probably due to the loads I place on it (PC, monitor, scanner, printer, external HDD).

Satisfied APC user here for over five years. Did have to replace the battery once.

Got a Cyber Power from Tigerdirect..... only paid about $40 for it....

Right now typing on the computer with a major lightning storm going on... not worried about losing the power :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat08029&id=1091101368673

On sale today only. $50. Decent power. Store brand, probably an APC or Cyberpower. I have a few of both, the APC's batteries are still working after 5+ years, the cyberpower batteries got weak after about 3 years and were shot at 4.

Remember you have to put your cable/dsl modem, your router, your VOIP box and your phone on it. Or keep a $5 unpowered phone handy to plug in.

At this power level, you'll get about 25-45 minutes, maybe a little bit more, depending on how power hungry the gear you plug in is...

Under some power outage circumstances, cable amps may also lose power, and they often dont have the battery backup or alterate power supplies that DSL phone equipment does.

Lastly, most of these have a shrieking screaming noisemaker in them, which frequently cant be turned off. My APC's have a switchpack on them that allegedly turns them off, although it doesnt. The Cyberpower can be USB connected to a computer and configured, but loses its configuration if you unplug it for a while.

Nothing a soldering gun didnt fix on either, as something screeching at you in the middle of the night isnt my idea of a good time. Yeah, go ahead and make your own joke... ;)

cube_rat said:
Oh god, boob woman is BACK!!   :eek:
You missed one of the letters "o" in "good", Cube_rat!

Anyone figure out yet what she's saying in her dialogue bubble?

Blame Wahoo, he brought up the topic of boobs, and our being a pair of them. I figured it was most appropriate that she make a brief return.

Very brief.

Rat, no photos of kathy bates please. Please. If you love america, please.

This is one of the reasons I now use a laptop as my main computer (with an external mouse and keyboard) - it's got a built in UPS with hours of life! But really I just like the ability to surf from the couch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom