SWR Investment Strategy and Horse Race Betting Systems are the samething

Hydroman

Recycles dryer sheets
I have spent over a year studying various ER and SWR studies methods like FireCacl etc. I have read thousands of posts on these boards and similar ones. I have read all the major investment books (four pillars, buckets etc etc). I am burnt out on the whole thing and have come to the conclusion there really is no difference in SWR strategies/calculations and horse race betting systems. It is all about odds and handicapping with the just about the same chance for success.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between what you read on these boards and the systems you find on the following website?

http://www.betting-on-horse-racing.co.uk/html/betting.html

Place your bets and lets get on with life.

You are probably joking, but in case you are not- I can tell you there is one huge difference that makes it relatively easy to win at investing, and quite hard to win at horse betting. The take, vigorish, rake or whatever you want to call it. Race betting is a zero sum game, before costs. Then subtract 14-26% off the top of the pools, depending on what type of bet and what jurisdiction, and you have the max possible return to the players. But there are also other costs- getting to the track or OTB parlor, parking, Racing Form, etc, etc.

I well designed stock strategy starts with a game that historically has been positive overall, and furthermore has much lower mandatory costs associated with it when compared to horse race betting.

Both forms of play are probably about equally crooked though. And horse race bettors at least realize that they are gambling.

Ha

Hydroman said:
Can someone tell me what the difference is between what you read on these boards and the systems you find on the following website?

The other boards don't have "Funny Joke Fridays". :D

Horses don't pay dividends.

Just ask the Norwegian widow.

heh heh heh heh heh - dryer sheet anyone?

I would agree that with so many options in designing a portfolio it can seem a bit overwhelming. I've read ESR Bob's book and his recommendation of the RIP portfolio. I've also read How to Retire Early and Live Well by Gillette Edmunds and his recommendations on constructing a portfolio. Not to mention Berstein's Four Pillars and recommended portfolio (which I haven't read, yet). I guess most folks here just gravitate towards the strategy that makes them most comfortable. It would be interesting to here which strategy folks are using and why they selected that method of investing.

I'll take Vanguard to Place, in the fifth. :LOL:

Thats easy. If horseracing had the same horses running for the last 100-something years, and betting on a certain combination of them always produced a winning wallet, then they'd be a lot like each other.

As far as I know, not many people take home a nice profit consistently from the horse races. Many people leave empty handed.

Not so with a reasonable investing strategy.

And my stocks dont eat any oats, and my bonds never poop.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
And my stocks dont eat any oats, and my bonds never poop.

This has to be the title of a country music song.

Funny, my grandfather was a horse better - he died broke. I'll take my chances on a 4%-5% SWR over the track any day.....

Alex said:
Funny, my grandfather was a horse better - he died broke. 
Wow! My grandfather was a horse worse, and he died well off. :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom