70s music explosion

califdreamer

Recycles dryer sheets
That was the name of a Time-Life music collection informercial I stumbled across today on TV.  Maybe the earlier thread about "Bicentennial Minutes" or my 30th HS reunion next year inspired me to watch it longer than I normally would've. 

I can't resist.  I want to know what gets your vote for Worst Song of the 70s.

I'll weigh in with a song that wasn't on the infomercial but I think it might have truly been the worst of the 70s (is there really only one?):  Havin' my Baby by Paul Anka

This post wouldn't be complete without a  :)

I want to know what gets your vote for Worst Song of the 70s.

As I recall, almost every song with, I'm sure, few exceptions (none of which leap easily to mind right now, so what does that tell you?) between 1970 and 1975.

Two that always make me want to puke, and which, thankfully, even the FM stations specializing in 70's/80's Classic Rock never play: Billy, Don't be a Hero and The Night Chicago Died I think even Dick Clark was backing the death penalty fro those two guys

I personally think "Kung Fu Fighting" is pretty darn funny. These CD's would be a good find at garage sale or thrift store.... ;)

A radio station in this area voted Midnight at The Oasis as worst song of the year once, I happened to like it but it is pretty bad....totally reminds me of the 70's.

My vote is for the Paul Anka song too :p

A Horse with No Name

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree, by Tony Orlando and Dawn.

I like Midnight at the Oasis (except for the part about singing your camel to bed).

Anything by Darryl Hall and John Oates.

"Afternoon Delight"

I liked "Midnight at the Oasis" and "Brand New Rollerskate" at the time, though I don't know if I would like them now. I also despised disco with a passion at the time, but came to appreciate it in retrospect after a decade of club hopping in the 80's.

"Having my baby" sounds worse now than it did then, not that it sounded very good then either.

I always thought parts of "Afternoon Delight" sounded like it could be used in a fried chicken commercial.

bpp said:
Anything by Darryl Hall and John Oates.

I know a lawyer who represented Hall in a child support case. Hall managed to prove he lived a very frugal life who would not and did not spend large amounts of money on himself or his children. He only had to pay a small amount of child support.

The last I heard the mother of Hall's child (who is grown by now) was a bartender in a rough gay bar in the neighboring town.

Easy. Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You is easy 'cause you're beautiful"

"La la la la la

La la la la la

La la la la la la la la lah oh oh oh

Uh doo doo doo doot doo

(very high pitch now)

Ah ah ah ah ah ah."

Muskrat Love has to be in there someplace, too.

You are much too young, the music of the 50s and 60s (particularly the folk music) is the only stuff worth listening too. Bill Haley, Kingston Trio, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Mamas and the Pappas.. the night isn't long enough.   It was scary last night when NPR played tunes from the 40s and I remembered some (must have been from the womb)!

(modified for typo)

Was "Feelings" in the 70s?

Yep - 1975!  Gag me!  Yeeeech :dead:

Very close second - "Muskrat Love", Captain and Tennille - 1977 or thereabouts. I think I'd strangle myself if I heard it again.

Audrey

I can think of a few horrible ones, I graduated HS in 1974:

- Car Wash by Rose Royce
- Anything by KC and the Sunshine Band

I didn't like disco. Funny, I do like some techno now :eek:.

Help! Gumby! I had successfully obliterated "Seasons in the Sun" from my mind.. until NOW. :p :p

anything by Mac Davis
" Stephen Bishop
CHRISTOPHER CROSS set my teeth right on edge..

I just really, really hate it when they say "Listen to these GOLDEN OLDIES!" and its all tunes I listened to as a teenager :p

I'm surprised nothing from William Shatner has made the list. Truly the William Hung of his day.

How about "I'm not in love" or "The pina colada song".

:p

Knock Three Times (on the Ceiling if you Want Me)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'm surprised nothing from William Shatner has made the list.  Truly the William Hung of his day.

You asked for it.  Click at your own risk:  :p

http://www.pathcom.com/~boby/lsd.htm

Some truly great ones:

- Afternoon Delight - Who knows!
- More, More, More! - Andrea Tue Connection
- Dancing Queen, dig that scene, diggin the dancing queen  :-X
- You Sexy Thing- Hot CHocolate
- Tonight's the night -Rod Stewart

Do you folks see a common theme in the 70's music? What a horny era!

Of course all of that horniness was offset by "I am woman hear me roar!" :eek:

Okay, I've had that damned Paul Anka song in my head all day, I log in here and now the freaking " knock three times" is replacing it.... ACK!!!!

Back
Top Bottom