how to change a 600kb photo for this forum

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a 600KB picture I wan to post. Any suggestions on how to reduce below the 64kb limit for posting?
I have all the microsoft programs.

Easiest way (I think) is to upload it to an "album" you create on photobucket.com and then post an image link here so it will appear on the forum. It's free and it automatically downsizes the image for you, like this photo of my RV:
img_413564_0_19f7938d63d175ccfb37f0ab473e82ee.jpg

I knew they were rumored to exist, but I had never even seen a picture of one. That's a Texas-style penthouse RV, isn't it? First class living... :D

dex said:
I have a 600KB picture I wan to post. Any suggestions on how to reduce below the 64kb limit for posting?
I have all the microsoft programs.

Generally speaking, you scale the photo to a lower resolution and then save it as JPEG or JPG. I usually make a photo 780 pixels or smaller horizontally and 560 or smaller vertically to fit in most browser windows properly. That usually winds up being under 64k. If not, try going a bit smaller.

A lot of camera software comes with resizers, my canon s/w has the tools to resize one or bulk resize a bunch of photos.

Some email software can resize.

Google 'resize photos' for a boatload of free/shareware tools that will also resize a shot.

You can also use a jpeg quality reducer to make the picture more 'compressible' without losing the resolution that resizing does. If its a shot with a lot of the same color, like an animation shot or a picture of a lot of water or sky, that may work well. If its a highly detailed shot, not so much. I think "paint" or "microsoft photo" had an option under 'save as' to reduce the jpeg quality, which in turn brings the size down. This is like shooting with your cameras 'regular, fine, superfine' options.

I missed this topic.....adobe photoshop has a "save for the web" on one of the pulldowns....if you have that software...as cfb says...mine came with my digital camera...

Back
Top Bottom