Actinic Keratosis (AKs)

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
http://www.skincancer.org/ak/index.php

After visiting a dermatologist recently I was advised that I has a number of AKs on various places on my body. Aks are a type of precancer that I have acquired due to many years in the out of doors with little or no attention to my skin. They say that this is a common occurance for someone my age (61) and is being taken care of by application of liquid nitrogen.

The attached is a pretty good summary of small crusty, scaly, or crumbly bump or horn on the skin surface and how it is treated.

Give yourself a self exam. If you find querstionable areas, get them taken out by the doc.

if you don't mind i'm just gonna save this one under my microsoft internet explorer favorites file named "getting old sucks".

For people with fair skin, they can start to show up in their 30s or 40s. So any age bracket can be on the watch for them.

Just had about 18 of them frozen of last week. DW had to have a big one on her back cut out. Better to catch them before they get that big. The freezing was not a big deal...it is like a cold burn (really!) that scabs over and then heals up in about a week or so. No shots required. But they can only do that when they are small. Bigger than a pencil erase in size requires cutting out so get them before they get that big.

Yucky to discuss but far better than dying from skin cancer.

SteveR said:
Just had about 18 of them frozen of last week. DW had to have a big one on her back cut out. Better to catch them before they get that big. The freezing was not a big deal...it is like a cold burn (really!) that scabs over and then heals up in about a week or so. No shots required. But they can only do that when they are small. Bigger than a pencil erase in size requires cutting out so get them before they get that big.

Stop, stop! TMI.  :D

And I see this stuff all day long!  :LOL:

I'm 65 and have spent a lot of time outside. Nevertheless, I got my first of these burned away last August. Only a few, and I don't see any new ones.

ThE derm thought I also had a basal cell ca, but it turned out not to be that, but some sort of benign keratosis. I was glad.

Ha

Chronic sun exposure is the cause of almost all AKs. Sun damage to the skin accumulates over time, so that even a brief exposure adds to the lifetime total. The likelihood of developing AK is highest in regions near the equator. However, regardless of climate, everyone is exposed to the sun. About 80 percent of solar ultraviolet (UV) rays can pass through clouds. These rays can also bounce off sand, snow, and other reflective surfaces, giving you extra exposure.

Kids, wear a hat and use sunscreen!

cartoon2.jpg

Yeah, I have had 4-5 frozen off too. I need to go back soon for an inspection. If you have any moles exposed to the sun, you better watch those close too. I have a buddy who had one cut off his face and it turned out to be melanoma. They had to go back and take a huge plug out of his face. Plastic surgery made him look pretty normal again. He then had to take a years worth of a drug called interferon. His weight went form 190 to 145 in just a few weeks. He said he felt like he had the flu and arthritis. That was 3 years ago and he is doing fine.

Again, keep a close watch on yourself. You don't want to have to go through what I saw him go through.

Lubriderm makes an SPF 15 version of their lotion that you can just apply every morning, face and arms. It sinks in, doesn't stink and doesn't burn your eyes.

It's not for the heavy duty hours on the beach but a nice way to cut your risk without having that gunky feeling everywhere.

Drugstore.com has a 16 oz bottle for 7.99...

I've had 2 basal cells removed and am on an every 6 month watch with my dermatologist.

A friend of mine just had a melanoma on her back and 3 lymph nodes removed and is going to start Interferon next month. Very scary.

A few years ago, I took closeup pictures of all my skin so I'd be able to refer to them if something new showed up.  If you don't want me to post them, send $10 to...

I'm 41 and had 2 frozen off last month. They use a canister of something that when released freezes the skin. Easier than keeping LIN (Liquid Nitrogen) around. You can buy a canister at Eckerd, etc for $20 (8 or 10 applications). It is made for warts but I was told, works for this also.

job

I just use regular sunscreen, wear a wide brimed hat and a sun protective shirt and long pants when I work outside for any length of time. I help maintain a demonstration a demonstration garden and often spend 2 or 3 hours at a time working in it.

Eucerine has a good lotion with SPF 30 that I use on my face.

Daddy O....can you provide a brand name of the canister? Thanks.

That over the counter freezing off stuff is probably a hoot at parties. Why leave a passed out buddy depantsed on the front lawn when you can do something creative with a couple of cans of this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom