Happiest Nation on Earth

The U.S. does well because ignorance is bliss.

TromboneAl said:

I would imagine that applies to the rest of the world also.

TromboneAl said:

That's an interesting wuestion. I wonder how education and your chosen field correlate with happiness? Are accountants happier than farmers? Are photographers happier than Silicon Valley CEOs? I think I ran into some numbers along these lines at one point, but I don't recall where it was :(

TromboneAl said:

A couple of Dutch economists from the University of Amsterdam did a study on people born in 1940 and determined that people with higher IQs tended to be healthier, but not necessarily wealthier or happier. Those with "...only a secondary education, of a general, non-vocational nature, appear to come out on top: they are healthier, happier and wealthier than any of the other schooling groups." People with higher educations tended to be less healthy, wealthy and happy than the lesser educated folks.

They said they couldn't explain their findings, but cited a number of other international studies that showed similar findings.

http://www.tinbergen.nl/discussionpapers/97034.pdf

If any of you are dreaming of moving to Denmark after that, forget it.

One would always be an outsider in Denmark. They make it very hard to stay there. It is also very expensive and high tax.

Still it is one of my favorite places in the world.

Gypsy

Leonidas said:
People with higher educations tended to be less healthy, wealthy and happy than the lesser educated folks.

i knew there was a good reason i did nothing but party through school.

Spanky said:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/27/happy.world.reut/

Demark ranks first ... U.S. ranks 23rd - not bad.

Asian countries are at the bottom. I am not surprised since they spend so many hours at work at fast pace.

I saw one of those new magazines on TV recently and they said that we Americans work the most hour... even more than the Japanese..

But, I did a quick search and Nationmaster has Australia 1st, Japan second and US third... but it appears to only have 9 countries... hmmmm

I'm reading "Authentic Happiness" right now (thanks for the recommendation, mclesters), and that book tells you a lot about this kind of stuff.  Check it out.

TromboneAl said:
I'm reading "Authentic Happiness" right now (thanks for the recommendation, mclesters), and that book tells you a lot about this kind of stuff. Check it out.

Let me be the first on the board to wish you a fantastic retirement. Can't imagine you working between now and midnight, so Cheers! Bravo!! Salut!!! Mazel Tov!!!! Way to Go!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom