Who needs a cell phone?

Who needs a cell phone?

• No way. Jose. Useless, service too expensive for now.

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • Emergencies only. I like to schedule my calls.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Occasionally I use it. Keep-up with the Joneses

Votes: 22 20.4%
  • Couldn't live without it.

Votes: 30 27.8%

• Total voters

perinova

Full time employment: Posting here.
It kindar see a decrease in cell phone use for serious business use around me (no interruptions during meetings etc). While teens are major users now.
I use to have one for business in my previous job. New job (2003) didn't provide so I didn't get one.
I am now a consultant I am thinking of getting one. Would it increase my throughput/income and ease or would it just increase my stress level? :-\
Comments? :D

Every time spouse or I have had a cell phone it's been work-related, and we've regretted it.

Now that I don't have to have a cell phone, I can't imagine why I'd want to carry one around. I have enough trouble juggling my wallet and my reading glasses...

Don't have one...and as far as I can tell I'm one of the few that don't...

Every once it a while it would be convenient, but I figure $40/month is too expensive for the one call each month that it would have been good for...

My general phone use was minimal. Short local calls..make doctor appointments,  field a call form the mechanic saying car is ready for pick-up. Call  family back East on Christmas or Mother's Day, occassional emergency type call.

JUST to own a phone and LD service, even if I didnt make or recieve a single call cost almost 400 bucks a yr.

So, I got one of those pay-as-you-go cell phones and more than enough mnutes to cover a years worth of phone use, ditched the normal phone and I'm saving money. PLUS I have the emergency/mobile call capability if I ever get stuck somehere.

So, I am 100% cell phone BUT it's not like I am a phone a-holic.

I really couldn't live without my cell phone. If we go to the city and the wife wanders off, even in a big store, I can always find her quickly. Plus, just hooking up for dinner-out if we have both been off doing something different is a perfect use.

When I'm out on the ranch I always keep it with me. If I should get hurt or trapped somewhere or have a heart attack, I want to have that phone on me. Even when there is someone up at the house, by the time they went looking for me I'd be dead.

I don't even use the short wave unit in the truck anymore. It is too easy to communicate with family in another following car by using the cell.

We have all seen it abused by obnoxious people in stores but that isn't me. I go outside if I get a call.

boont

Had a company supplied cellphone when working. Handed it off the day I left work for good. Hope to never have another one for indefinite future.

Might consider getting one IF we decided to get rid of land line....but the issue is that cellphone LD currently is just too expensive and we use our land line primarily to talk to family, most of which is LD.

I can see why a cell would be good for emergency use only, especially for women, and thus I supported DW getting one for that purpose. Bare bones plan -- she has used 8 minutes of air time in 2.5 months mostly just to remember how to use it!

I use my cell phone as a pda. not a great pda, but at least it can keep appointments and a phone book. now I don't need to carry a pda, only wallet, keys and cell. Couldn't live without it now that I am hooked. $100 a month for two phones, 1200 minutes and the ability to hook into the internet anywhere I am. I think this is progress. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind.

razztazz said:
My general phone use was minimal. ... So, I got one of those pay-as-you-go cell phones and more than enough mnutes to cover a years worth of phone use, ditched the normal phone and I'm saving money. PLUS I have the emergency/mobile call capability if I ever get stuck somehere.

That's my approach as well except that (a) I use www.skype.com to make free phone calls nationwide (free until 2007, 2 cents/min afterwards) and (b) I have a company-provided cell phone for now.

Once I am no longer employed and don't have the free cell phone, I will get one of those pay-as-you-go cell phones as well. Which brand would you recommend, by the way?

Have one but almost NEVER use it. Good for "possible" emergencies when traveling. If I had to pay more than the $10 a month I am paying I would dump it. I only pay $10 a month since I am on some plan of my daughters that allows her to add me and the DW for $10. Did not pay for the phone either as she had recently upgraded to one of the latest picture models for her and her kids and we were able to have the old one to use. Works great but really I cannot see the need. I have been using computers since 1964 (US Army systems) and have had PC's since about 1980 but cell phones, to me, are a unnecessary expense. Now "free" long-distance over the Computer connected phone that is another story. DW uses up about 3,000 minutes a month on that thing.

Have one. Find it almost necessary/very convienent for both buisness and personal activities. If I didn't have it, would have to be checking into the office on a regular basis (still working albiet on a reduced schedule).

A land line is only useful if you actually live on a piece of land.

If you live on wheels or live on water - not very helpful.

Audrey

My old buddy old pal (8 month old Pug) got my Nokia off the nightstand last night and chewed the bottom row of buttons.

I just recently got a cell(my first ever) to try it out a couple weeks ago - in time for my West Coast trip. I've also misplaced it around the house a few times - had to call on the land line to ring it soo's I could find it.

Takes getting used to.

heh heh heh - yes it has a clip - but I still lose it.

Mine stays in the console of my car for emergencies. DW uses hers more than I use mine. It allows her to call me at home and let me know when to expect her home from shopping excursions (allows me time to get my mistress out of the house :D).

Grumpy

Of course we have cell phones! What is all the fuss about. We have T-Mobile Pay as you go x 2, never been a problem with us. I'd say at the most it costs us is an average of $3 - $7 a month now we have paid the initial $100 (last year some time) Free phones minuted last a year $10 minimum payment. A non issue in my book. Not even worth counting as an expense.

I agree with the Kids being the biggest boon for the telephone companies, they have to have all the new phones yesterday and hell, I cannot see the screen during the day anyway, so watching anything on the thing is futile. As for MP3, I do not need music on the run that much. Us over 50's only listen to news radion anyway don't we? ;) AND I have a real camera for when I need a REAL photo of somthing, not some blurred representation of a blob of something which is about all my cell phone is good for.

And what about those business folks who think they need all those Blackberries and Palm Treos to tell someone they have arrived immediately their plane lands. LOL!

Hey, I don't even have an IPOD. So What do I know anyway. :D

SWR

Here is how I plan to make my TracFone completely free:

Al's TracFone Page

I designed that page so that it will appear high up on people's searches about tracfones. No referrals yet, but I just created it a week or so ago.

Why not just get T-Mobile? It works everywhere no roaming (with or without spouse), Free phone (at least when we got ours) 1000 miutes for $100 that last a year, then renew each year for $10. Average cost 12c per minute country wide (not the mortgage company).

SWR

Apparently T-mobile's coverage isn't so good here.  DD's T-mobile phone did not have service in lots of places in this area.

Since I no longer have a home, I just got a tracphone cell phone. With a bit of work and a number of phone calls to tracphone for their mistakes, I was able get the initial 20+60+120 (referral), extended by another about 320 minutes, so a total of all 520 minutes for $20. My plan has no roaming charges. The minutes will be good for 8 months although if I stay abroad beyond that period, I will lose all my remaining minutes, oh well.
When I begin travelling abroad, I probably will use a either a local phone card or throw away cell phone.

We live on a boat, no phone lines on the dock, so my DW and I have cell phones on an old Verizon plan that costs $46 per month for both with 300 joint minutes. Also have wi-fi internet and dish tv. I love the wireless world!

ShokWaveRider said:
hell, I cannot see the screen during the day anyway, so watching anything on the thing is futile.
That's an interesting question.

For you presbyopians, I can use most of the buttons on our cordless phone with no problem. Some of that is memory but most of it is being able to see its bigger buttons. Do you have to put on your $#%^ing reading glasses to use your cell phone?

Nords said:
For you presbyopians, I can use most of the buttons on our cordless phone with no problem.  Some of that is memory but most of it is being able to see its bigger buttons.  Do you have to put on your $#%^ing reading glasses to use your cell phone?

Yes, if you need to read the itty-bitty screen.

Because I have my frequently called numbers assigned to a button it isn't usually an issue when dialing. I have my favorite callers assigned to specific ring tones so I know who is calling me. Otherwise, if I want to screen my calls I gott'a have my glasses on.

[quote author]
Who needs a land line?

No land line for 5 years now!

I don't use many minutes so last year I purchased a tracfone and 100 minutes. DH has a cell phone for work. If we didn't want/need the internet I would cancel the land line. I only have local service and use skype or phone card for long distance.

Back
Top Bottom