Wake Island Evacuated

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Nords, since you're in charge of the Pacific islands for the forum, how come you haven't kept up up to speed on this:

Wake Island evacuated as 'super typhoon' roars in

"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.

The evacuees, mostly American and Thai contractors, on Monday were flown to Hickam Air Force Base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu...

Were you expecting company?

REWahoo! said:
Nords, since you're in charge of the Pacific islands for the forum, how come you haven't kept up up to speed on this:
It's a good thing that all meteorologists aren't surfers. You haven't been keeping up with the surfing thread, have you? Where the heck do you think we've been getting all these gnarly waves for the last week?

REWahoo! said:
"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.
Here's a couple pictures of Hickam's brand-new C-17s justifying their existence:
http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/29/news/story01.html

It's interesting to note that Ioke's predicted to generate storm surge in excess of 18 feet, which is significant as the island's max elevation. A lot of bird families are going to be wiped out by this one. This is the biggest typhoon to hit the central Pacific since data collection started in the early 1960s.

REWahoo! said:
The evacuees, mostly American and Thai contractors, on Monday were flown to Hickam Air Force Base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu...
Were you expecting company?
We'll probably have a followup article tomorrow on impromptu family reunions, happy evacuees partying in Waikiki, and the INS trying to figure out who's supposed to be keeping tabs on all the visas. I think the Wake Island employees get one or two trips here per year for "morale leave", so it's not exactly unknown territory for them. Of course they're going to have to replace every personal possession they left behind that's not (1) buoyant & hydrodynamically shaped, (2) waterproof, and (3) strapped to a concrete bunker. I bet we'll see a big run on battery-operated entertainment electronics this week.

Wake Island and Kwajalein contracting jobs are supposed to be very financially rewarding-- in the sense that you get paid a decent wage, don't pay taxes, and have no place to spend it. Friends of ours (he's a retired Navy surface warfare officer, she's a Navy Reserve meteorologist) have spent the last three-four years on Kwaj pulling down the big six-figure salaries at the missile range. There are several Kwaj alumni on Oahu who absolutely loved the environment and the lifestyle and an old shipmate was raised there-- he feels the same way.

When she was on active duty, spouse used to fly to Wake Island every year or two to check out the meteorological equipment there. Much of it is automated but it occasionally needs repairs/maintenance, and the Navy used to hold the odd exercise in the area. She has an old t-shirt that says "Wake Island-- Where America's Day Begins".

http://media.maps101.com/SUB/ATLAS/Images/pacificoceanrap.gif

Nords said:
You haven't been keeping up with the surfing thread, have you?

Nope. Jarhead and I don't read that one...

Nords said:
Here's a couple pictures of Hickam's brand-new C-17s justifying their existence:
http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/29/news/story01.html

That C-17 is a much nicer ride than the one I flew into Wake in 1972 with mechanical problems...
img_423747_0_11c3e4e9b05a0fc92c3a38b5f8462340.jpg

Before you ask, no, the problem wasn't caused by me getting my scarf tangled in the prop! Spent a week waiting for parts. Fun place. :p

I was there in the early 60s, on the way to Japan (or Guam). Anyway, I seem to remember there was a wrecked ship there just off the atoll. Or was that somewhere else?

I stopped at Wake Island a few times in 70-71 on courier flights to and from the Philippines. As I remember you could do a 360 from the airfield and see water in all directions.

2soon

Eagle43 said:
I seem to remember there was a wrecked ship there just off the atoll. Or was that somewhere else?

I think you are correct. We island hopped from Okinawa to Guam, Wake, Midway and Adak (didn't have the fuel range to make it from Hawaii to CA), and I recall seeing an old shipwreck, probably on Wake. I definitely recall seeing the old concrete bunkers from WWII that dotted the island.

2soon2tell said:
I stopped at Wake Island a few times in 70-71 on courier flights to and from the Philippines. As I remember you could do a 360 from the airfield and see water in all directions.

Yep.

img_423772_0_ee749fbfb12ce6058147d353e4fef47e.jpg

It got nailed by a hurricane with 160 mph winds yesterday!

Needle in a haystack

Sorry for being naive here but is this for real? shouldn't this be all over CNN or Fox?

It would if the storm were less than a thousand miles away from a place where there is something like a large population...

who needs to party in Waikiki when the club on Wake had tall glass rum&cokes for 10 cents. Maybe they have gone up to 25 cents by now? Was last there in 1980. :LOL: :LOL:

Mach1 said:
Sorry for being naive here but is this for real? shouldn't this be all over CNN or Fox?

They got all off the island earlier this week. My guess they will not head out that way for another few days, the storm just passed.

Hmmm

Poor Wake - don't get no respect - I guess they are going to take their time and sail out to check the kaput sensors.

heh heh heh heh heh

Airmen sailing to Wake Island for damage check

"Airmen and Sailors from Andersen [Guam] will sail 1,500 miles to Wake Island to see how well the U.S. territory survived Super Typhoon Ioke.

The Air Force evacuated all 188 island residents on two C-17 Globemaster III aircraft Monday before the typhoon arrived Thursday with 155 mph winds and gusts to 190 mph. The residents include Airmen, Department of Defense employees and Defense contractors.

Members of Andersen's 36th Contingency Response Group and U.S. Navy Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 25 will sail Sept. 4 on an expected four-day trip to the island."

Back
Top Bottom