Need Advice on how to invest Keogh/IRA assets

flyer7324

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm married 53 yo and my wife is 48. She's a teacher and has a defined benefit plan that will max out in 12 years.

Presently we have approx 1.2 million in assets in various keoghs, ira's and 403b's. The bulk of the assets are evenly divided between long term blue chips and mutual funds, primarily American Funds and some Fidelity.

I would like some advice as to how to invest these retirement funds so that at the time of retirement we can realize a 6 or 7 percent pretax return and live off this return in addition to my social security wife's pension. Wife's pension will be approximately 50k/yr and my SS will be approx. 1800/month.

We do have a home with a 15 yr mortgage that will also be paid off in 12 years. Other than that we have no other significant debt.

We also own some real estate that worth about 500k with no mortgage.

Thanks for the help.

You sound like your in petty good shape. How many years do you have before you retire?

When you write "we can realize a 6 or 7 percent pretax return and live off this return", do you mean you will spend that return every year? That is, do you mean that you will spend $72K to $84K plus $50K pension plus $21600 social security (total $143K to $155K per year before tax) in retirement?

Back
Top Bottom