tri-country tax evasion?

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
considering spending some time overseas so, while researching, i found the following. i'm no accountant or tax attorney--geez, i'm still trying to figure out what swr means--but this sure looks like tax evasion to me. please see last paragraph posted by someone on another forum. first graphs to offer context. if it isn't tax evasion it sure could help stretch that swr.

topic: Steps to make a success of it here (in thailand)...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Bak
I would have thought once tax is paid in one country and transfered to a second country it would be excempt from income tax in the second country, unless one was registered as a resident for tax purposes in both countries. In which case credits would be given to tax already paid and then adjusted to be on par with the second country.

"right - assuming there is a double tax treaty between the two countries in question. given that most countries require a minimum 180 days a year to be considered a tax resident, i would have previously said that it was near on impossible to be a tax resident of two countries in the same year. however, recent changes in the uk have me rethinking that. also, if you hail from the us, and earn a good crust, you're ****ed.

as for thailand, the rules are simple to follow. you are taxed on your 'worldwide' earnings; provided, however, that the money is brought into thailand in the same tax year (01 jan - 31 dec). so, if i earn money in the usa and/or the uk, which i do, and i leave that money in the uk or usa, neither of which am i a tax resident, until the following tax year in thailand, then i earn the money gross in the country it is earned -as i'm not subject to tax in these countries - and when i bring the money into thailand it is not taxable income as the thai revenue department will take the view that it has been taxed in another jurisidiction. thus it is gross, non-taxable, earnings. so the system can also work in your favor."~~someone screennamed "pinky" on ajarnforum.net

You are always taxed in the USA on your income so you should only be a visitor in Thiland and pay no taxes since you "enter" the country with your cash.

that's certainly how i would play it. i was just wondering what this other person thinks he/she's up to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom