Goodbye, Sophie

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Sophie left us yesterday. Had to put her down after a brief illness that took her from perfect health to death in 3 weeks - liver failure of unknown cause.

sophie.jpg

We are aching and aching. She was an indescribable presence in our lives. Dog lovers will understand.

Rich, condolences from me, JJ, and Judy (rescued Heinz with the same colouring as Sophie)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
We are aching and aching. She was an indescribable presence in our lives. Dog lovers will understand.

Yup also. Been there. :'(

Rich-in-Tampa,

My heart aches for you, your wife, and Sophie. The loss of a pet is huge. They are here with us but for a short time but in our hearts forever.

omni

We had to put down two in less than a year. Sorry, Rich. :'(

I am so sorry, Rich. Sophie was a beautiful friend.

Rich,

So sorry. Our sweet Annie (a Papillon) died from gran mal seizures in November. One of our five remaining dogs is usually on my lap whenever I sit down.

I bet Sophie has met Sugar, Bianca, Ginger, Ranger and Billy. They are all having fun sniffin each others butts. We most all know the profound loss your home is feeling at this time and you have sympathy from me & Miss Maggie.

aw doc. she's got a real sweet face. it is like losing your best friend. hang in there.

"and time goes by so slowly
and time can do so much"~~u2

Sorry for your loss, Rich. She looks like a sweetheart.

I'll give our pups a treat in her honor.

So sorry, Rich.. When I saw the name "Sophie" I thought also of my sister's elderly cat of the same name who ambled bravely off into the sunset at a ripe old age.

Oscar (our Bernese Mtn. Dog) has been bugging me a lot lately (a local female in heat?).. anyway not really being a "true" dog person I still can commiserate. Dunno what will happen when Oscar passes.. maybe it's pre-ordained that we have pets so we can figure out mortality.

The fantastic and incomprehensible thing for me is dogs' boundless capacity for trust.. and hope.

Rich,
Sophie looks like a sweetie. It will be eerily quiet around the homestead for awhile. We still miss Katie, who was ever present and waiting for a pet or just a glance to get her tail started.

Best wishes to you and your family at this time of loss.

Sorry Rich, we had to put down our Shihtzu in Nov of last year and I know first hand how it hurts.

I am so sorry for your loss.

When our Teddy died, I lost a little piece of my heart.

Sympathies, Rich. My super-bestest buddy, a 'purebred' mongrel/mutt, Suzie, is taking her eternal afternoon nap under the lilac bush in the backyard....still keenly aware that she's sleeping there, everytime I walk past. :'(

I haven't had to do it yet. I dread the day I have to make that kind of decision.

I've know so many dogs to die this year, the "Year of the Dog" hasn't been good to my 4 legged friends. I feel for you Richl

I am *SO* sorry, and yes, I understand completely. We had to put our black Lab, Moxie, down on December 23, for liver and kidney problems. Please accept virtual hugs and sympathetic tears from a fellow grieving dog lover.

Remember, all dogs go to heaven:

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

“If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” ~ Will Rodgers

“My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already things I am.” ~ Anonymous

“It was the first time I remember being truly happy. It’s selfish, really, but if I can make them feel safe for just one day, then it makes me feel good, you know, happy, in my heart and it’s only in the company of animals that I feel that way.” ~ Randy Grim

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring – it was peace.” ~ Milan Kundera

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” ~ Roger Caras

“My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can…that’s almost $21.00 in dog money!” ~ Joe Weinstein

“The average dog is nicer than the average person.” ~ Andy Rooney

“The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.” ~ Unknown (a sign on my office wall...)

Take care...

- Ron

Rich: Very sorry to hear about your Sophie. All animal lovers can sympathize. Every so often, I will walk the neighbor's dog, "Charlie", a very beautiful dog. (German Shorthaired Pointer). He's not mine, but I know I will feel very sad when he goes. Although he is very trim and seems in excellent shape, he's 11 years old.

I had 2 cats over a period of 20 years. One I had to put down, and the other went out one night and never came back. I called all the animal shelters in the local area, and someone said that my cat most likely got killed by a coyote or other animal. I cried like a baby when I lost both. My condolences to you. I hope good memories of Sophie will bring you some comfort. Take care.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. She was beautiful looking in the photo.

I loved the quotes, especially the Will Rogers one.

As to "“The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.” ~ Unknown (a sign on my office wall...)"

I put this on the wall in the spare bedroom of my house when I moved in long ago:

doglikere1.jpg

Sorry Rich. I have three Goldens keeping me company and one is getting pretty old so I am once again approaching that painful experience. Been through it three times but it is still worth it to have a dog with you.

I'm so sorry Rich, they bring such joy to our lives and such saddness when they leave but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom