Unable to log in using Safari on a Mac

Renderdog

Dryer sheet wannabe
A few months ago I found I was unable to log in to the forums, getting this message: "You were unable to login. Please check your cookie settings." Changing my cookie settings did not fix the problem.

I tried again recently and discovered I could log in fine using the old Internet Explorer, which is not a pleasant browser to use on the Mac. Any suggestions for what I need to do in order to log in using Safari on a Mac?

One frustrating aspect of my problem was I could not locate an email address on early-retirement.org to inquire about logging in; it would have been nice if there was some kind of help. Did I miss it somewhere?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a PowerPC G5.

Thanks,
Mark

Works fine for me from home on three computers, I think I did go in and delete some cookies at the time. Maybe someone will remember which ones. If you don't need other cookies you can delete them all, that should certainly work.

I don't login (the site 'remembers' me) but I have OS 10.4 and Safari. I think once I did, though, have a problem, and I deleted the cookie for the ER site in Safari/Preferences/Security/Show Cookies.. The list is long and you don't seem to be able to search.

Looking right now I don't see a likely candidate among mine.. maybe someone else knows what it's name would likely be (if not .early-retirement.org)?

Thanks yakers and ladelfina, I found and deleted the cookies.

Annoying that the list could not be searched, and the (only partly for some odd reason) alphabetical order put the offending cookies far down the list; I missed them the first time I looked. Looks like an area Apple should look at improving user-friendliness.

Happy to be back in on Safari!

I had the same frustration with Firefox on Mac, the same message about cookies, and the same inability to find any contact email. My cookie settings seemed fine. But I went and manually deleted anything that sounded like this website (which didn't used to be a problem) and VOILA! It worked.

I have not had any problems on a Mac w/FireFox. Still on 10.3.9. I am set to automatically log in.

FireFox does allow searching of cookies (Prefs, Privacy, Cookies tab). I entered 'earl', and got 6 entries under 'early-retirement.org'. You can search FireFox.

In Safari, set the cookies to sort by name. the 'early-retirement.org' is preceeded with a '.' (period or 'dot').

-ERD50

"I have not had any problems on a Mac w/FireFox....."

I don't know what the problem was, but it was persistent. What seemed odd is that I had to delete cookies that were accepted, not declined.

Back
Top Bottom