For you aviation buffs...

Really great stuff, RE, thanks. Are these yours?

I love all things aviation, but alas now find myself outside the fence looking in .. :(

Bobot said:
Really great stuff, RE, thanks. Are these yours?

No, I can only wish I had the camera equipment and skill of the guy who took them.

Bobot said:
I love all things aviation, but alas now find myself outside the fence looking in .. :(

I'm standing right next to you... ;)

Cool photos, thanks.

Saw one factual error in the comments, or at least contrary to the excellent 2-part
PBS series 'Warbirds":

Although it had better armament and nearly the same performance as the F-86, the MiG-15
was at the wrong end of a roughly 10 to 1 kill ratio, due largely to superior training of the
American pilots.

"Warbirds" said the kill-ratio was due largely to vastly superior target-acquisition
avionics (I guess that's the right term) in the US fighters.

Thanks a lot. Really nice pictures. A bit out of my league though. Would love the chance to fly some of them.

I got my pilot license at about age 40 for reasons I still don't quite understand, but it turned out to be awesome. Flew all over the upper midwest, including the EAA fly-in site in Oshkosh. I love things that fly.

As the career mushroomed and I came to my senses, I gave it up. It was getting very expensive, and I didn't want to be "the late Dr. Rich_in_Tampa" who flew outside his limits one too many times. Had to either finish my instrument rating or quit, I told myself. Quit, my DW told me, and she was right.

Anyway, great shots -- thanks.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
As the career mushroomed and I came to my senses, I gave it up. It was getting very expensive, and I didn't want to be "the late Dr. Rich_in_Tampa" who flew outside his limits one too many times. Had to either finish my instrument rating or quit, I told myself. Quit, my DW told me, and she was right.

I think your DW is a very wise woman... and you're no slouch either for having the good sense to listen to her.

RustyShackleford said:
Cool photos, thanks.

Saw one factual error in the comments, or at least contrary to the excellent 2-part
PBS series 'Warbirds":

Although it had better armament and nearly the same performance as the F-86, the MiG-15
was at the wrong end of a roughly 10 to 1 kill ratio, due largely to superior training of the
American pilots.

"Warbirds" said the kill-ratio was due largely to vastly superior target-acquisition
avionics (I guess that's the right term) in the US fighters.
I'd certainly like to see that assertion explored a little. There was virtually no "target aquisition" avionics on the F-86s that made such a great showing in Korea. Later models that were not used in Korea beame test beds for primotive forms of single-seat radar and fire control but the air to air war in Korea was very much eyeball to eyeball and the US superiority, I would vote, came from superior pilot skills (manyy Korean aces were highly qualified WW-II aces) and the fact that the F-86 is quite superior in many ways to the Mig-15.

I'm old, but not old enough to have bene there, so I'm willing to learn, but I don't think the Warbirds folks got it quite right.

Back
Top Bottom