What happened to the TSX this morning

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
it's at 13,176.21 down -228.25. I've been following it for about 6 months now since I've been trying to figure out this whole investment world, and I don't think that's normal.

Dow is down too. Its all short term. If anyone could figure it out, they would be rich.

Some large investors felt that the Shanghai market was overvalued. Sales there generated some programmed trading which caused a sudden large decline. Other market makers were nervous and bailed.

Will this be the start of a major correction? I dunno. Where will the money go?
Real estate? No
Bonds? Don't think so.
Gold? Maybe...

The Chinese are worried that their stock market has over-heated. They are talking it down and maybe tightening in other ways.

Take a deep breath and relax. Hop in your 75 and cruise for a while......I'm about to do the same in my 74. Nice day out.... 8)

The Yen carry trades are about to unravel, too. Watch the panic.

Scary! Overall, the market (sp500, dow, and nasdaq) has been down for several days now.

OK - it looks like the S&P finally made the 2% correction from recent high it has avoided for a very, very long time. It's about time. (It depends on if we close down here).

This is NOT SCARY folks! Markets have been at long time highs for months on end and we finally get a wee bit of a sell off? 2000-2002 - now THAT was scary!

It's not time to go shopping yet either. At least not for me. I like to see at least a 5% correction if not 10%.

Audrey

watch out Audrey ... i find that i agree with you much too often ... that's a bad sign for you. i found last week's s&p high to be a "selling opportunity" and i'll be rebalancing again if we get something approaching a 5% correction, but what we've seen so far is nothing to panic about.

no doubt "submerging markets" will take a hit here ... yesterday decided to not trim some

audreyh1 said:
It's not time to go shopping yet either. At least not for me. I like to see at least a 5% correction if not 10%.

Audrey

I could not agree more. :)

Argh!! What if it goes down 2% tomorrow and 2% Thursday?!? I think we're in for a spiral down into the abyss. :eek:

I'm out. I'm going 100% bonds.

eridanus said:
Argh!! What if it goes down 2% tomorrow and 2% Thursday?!? I think we're in for a spiral down into the abyss. :eek:

Would cash be better?

kcowan said:
Will this be the start of a major correction? I dunno. Where will the money go?
Real estate? No
Bonds? Don't think so.
Gold? Maybe...

This is a misconception - the money does not go anywhere for 98% of the people, it merely disappears. What prices will do after a decline is determined by the amount of funds able to shift into the asset class that is declining and the amount of new funds being created available for investment.

eridanus said:

Don't you hate it? I do, too. I lost a little last May or June, when the market dipped. That is because I went from 75% stocks to 60% as it was headed downwards. Afterwards I felt stupid. I left it there, though, because I know it could happen again and apparently I don't have the guts to stick it out with 75% stocks.

We work all of our lives for predictable paychecks, plodding along, and then when we have money to invest, we expect ourselves to adjust nicely to random wild vagaries of the market. There's something wrong with that picture. Maybe I can convince myself that this would be a great opportunity to buy. (sigh)

Time to me to re-read Bernstein's Four Pillars and Swedloe's book. Not that I don't practically sleep with them these days.

audreyh1 said:
OK - it looks like the S&P finally made the 2% correction from recent high it has avoided for a very, very long time.

Audrey, can you elaborate? I'm quite sure S&P went through a correction of more than 2% last year in May or June.

d said:
b33v3r ch33z3 !!

i remind you:

when the market's riding high
that's the time to sell, not buy
when the market's gone to hell
that's the time to buy, not sell

So this means you suggest selling now while the market is high? Or that a 2% decline is an indication the market has gone to hell and now is the time to buy.

I'm 34. My portfolio is much, much bigger than the last time I had to ride out a big correction (2002). It didn't faze me (much :-\) then, but I'm wondering if I have the stomach to go thru a 25% correction now that there is another zero on the end of the numbers. We will see ;)

Note-- I am 100% equities (I have a fair amount in REITs though).

Want2retire said:
Don't you hate it? I do, too. I lost a little last May or June, when the market dipped. That is because I went from 75% stocks to 60% as it was headed downwards. Afterwards I felt stupid. I left it there, though, because I know it could happen again and apparently I don't have the guts to stick it out with 75% stocks.

We work all of our lives for predictable paychecks, plodding along, and then when we have money to invest, we expect ourselves to adjust nicely to random wild vagaries of the market. There's something wrong with that picture. Maybe I can convince myself that this would be a great opportunity to buy. (sigh)

Time to me to re-read Bernstein's Four Pillars and Swedloe's book. Not that I don't practically sleep with them these days.

Running_Man said:
So this means you suggest selling now while the market is high? Or that a 2% decline is an indication the market has gone to hell and now is the time to buy.

That's the encouraging thing to remember - - it's ONLY 2% so far. It just looks really bad that the Dow is down 221 so far today, with hours more to go. But a drop of 221 is really only 2%.

Gee. And my 401K was just $45 short of getting to an intermediate goal. Oh well. Hopefully it will get there later in 2007.

Hamlet said:

I have REIT too, and it's doing just as bad as the sp500. Down 2.16% as of now.

Hamlet said:
I'm 34. My portfolio is much, much bigger than the last time I had to ride out a big correction (2002). It didn't faze me (much :-\) then, but I'm wondering if I have the stomach to go thru a 25% correction now that there is another zero on the end of the numbers. We will see ;)

In 2002, I too had very little invested. I figured my company match, and the tax delayed status of my 401K made up for the slump so I kept contributing the maximum and felt it was a learning experience. :LOL: :LOL: You're right - - it's a whole lot more intimidating when there's more zeros at stake.

audreyh1 said:

Audrey

Getting close Audrey, or are you going to hold out for 10% (I think I am:))

I did some shopping today, but held some cash back in case t his continues. I would have to guess taht it will be short and sharp rather than long and grinding (at least for developed markets), but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom