Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • I haven't retired yet, I'll let you know then

Votes: 32 21.2%

• Total voters

JustCurious

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Please identify the source of the funds upon which you rely in retirement.

Employee stock options in MegaCorp. (I bet they never thought the stock would soar, or us peons wouldn't have been granted options.)

45% DBP Lump Sum Payout
35% 401K (which has 25% of additional After Tax Contributions)
20% LBYM After Tax Savings

Yup, I was a SUPER SAVER :D :D :D and as a result, I anticipate a very nice lifestyle going forward

Also, have 80% equity in McMansion which when I downsize to free & clear will add quite a few more dollars to the "After Tax Bucket"

My Net pension will equal 82-83% of my current Net pay....which, since I LBMM, will be more than enough to live on AND continue to invest! Shouldn't need to tap any investments unless I want to really splurge on something years down the road...or a major catastrophe occurs. :D

Goonie:

That is one sweet pension.

Are you a govenment employee ?

Masterblaster said:
Goonie:

That is one sweet pension.

Are you a govenment employee ?

Yep....Municipal! We have a VERY good pension fund...IMRF...it is 103% funded.....unlike ANY other IL public pensions. http://tinyurl.com/3eytpg

The only deductions from my monthly pension are Fed tax and health insurance premium....Sweet!!! 8)

All over the map the first 11 years.

Post Katrina - now that I've come of age(over 62):

24% early SS, 16% non cola pension and 60% LYBM savings at 4% and still planing to jump to 5% varible before the end of the year - if I can overcome my 'cheap tendencies'.

heh heh heh 8).

Not retired yet, but it is getting closer all the time. Here is our current breakdown:

51% - roll over from lump sum distribution/buyout of pension
42% - 401K (both DH and mine)
7% - cash from LBYM

This does not include husbands pension - FERS (the amount will depend on whether he REs or not).

Two years and a bit:

First year pension was about 1/3 of previous pay

Second year up to about 40%

Partly COLA from now 'til age 62

Pension drops at age 62

Haven't yet gone into CDs or TSP

Was still saving money in 2006

Not retired yet, no pension.

husbands SSI and small pension
My SSI, 401k and investments which will be about 1/3 each.

I'm not there yet, but I do diligently play the lottery every week, so I should be able to call it quits very soon.

75% real estate
25% mega corp 401k

FIRE'd at 43

Listened to Grandmother and used the "3 legged stool":

Savings: 37.5% (yeah all fixed CD's)
Pension: 37.5% (Military, Cola'd and Tricare for Life)
Social Security: 25% (stating at 62 too).

Kind of "against the grain, but it has worked for about 25 years"

OAG

About 40% inheritance, 60% savings. I figure inheritance got me to my desired level of FI about 6 years sooner than I would be otherwise (42 instead of 48). What I mean is that I was technically FI before receiving any inheritance, given that I could have retired on my savings alone, just not at a level I desired to live.

Almost there....
3.3% recent inheritances
1% honey's werking in the salt mines IRA
95.7% real estate/$$ from real estate
? SSI? maybe if we want to buy a parakeet and feed it...

Diversity R not us.

We are FI...just waiting for ER in a month or so.

We got there through a long series of small moves.

No inheritance other than my late wife's IRA.
My IRA rolled over from my previous company 401k

Current 401k
DW 401k

Very small pension for me and DW (gas and beer money but I will take it)

Bought and sold over 8 houses and other properties in the last 30+ years...made some ....lost some.

Saved $$ from paychecks and invested in various funds, stocks and bonds. Lost some...made some.

Live below our means. Creates cashflow for buying stuff with cash and not on loans and creates the fuel for investment purchases and long term growth.

Only debt is the house mortgage which is less than 25% of the equity.

SS will add some to the kitty and will help reduce draws on investment accounts allowing them to grow a bit more before we tap them at 70.5

A tip of the hat to those who are FIRE based on 100% personal savings generated by LBYM and current or future SS! Without the cushion of pensions, inheritances, lottery winnings, etc., you guys are the real stuff!

I'm RE and living off of about 40% dbp pension/60% portfolio. Portfolio percentage will increase in years where we make a major expenditure, such as a car. Still noodling whether to start SS at 62 or later.

Even pensions that cover less than half of our expenses are a huge help. I love reading about how you folks doing it on 100% portfolio manage things as my kids and their peers will be in that situation.

Not RE yet either, but when I do, my funding sources will be:

Age 55: Fully COLA'd Defined Benefit Pension (Fed Gov't) (68%)
" " : $12000 per yr from TSP/401k
Age 60: Fully COLA'd military pension (reserves)
Age 62: Will take SS

DW: 3 yrs younger than me, will RE at her age of 55, with 401k that we'll use to pay cash for our retirement home on the lake. It will take all the $ in her account to do this. She'll take her SS at age 62 as well.

Age 55, FI, but not going until 57 -

Pension - 68% of my expenses (2% COLA)
Fully Paid Medical with Medicare Supplement at 65
SS @ 62
Remainder of Funds from LBYM and from Investments and Retirement Accounts (will only draw out 2.6% to meet target)

I agree with the others - without the Pension and Medical, it would be tougher to do.

My husband and I are making it quiet nicely on my pension (government, municipal), and his SS. These total about 80 percent of what we were bringing home as working slobs. During our 15 years of marriage prior to retirement we were able to save a substantial amount. After two years of retirement we have still not needed to access our investments. This is easy since we were accustomed to livinging on about 60-65% of our earnings while we were employed.

Still waiting for October to get here, but the plan is;

38% Pension
34% SS (2 of them)
28% Savings (401K, IRA's, CD's)

Any two of them will easily meet our current budget and life style, the third will be the cream on top. :)

UH

Back
Top Bottom