Confused about SS buy out/pay off of benefits!

Mikeado

Confused about dryer sheets
My sister’s husband passed away of cancer. He was 84 and his wife is 48 they where married 28 years.
He worked until three months before he passed away.
His current payment was $880.00 a month.
She has also worked most of her life and still works and
Now SS has contacted her and said she was to young to continue to draw his SS and they would pay her off or buy her out, what ever that means.
How much money are they talking about?
does she need a lawyer?
Has any one dealt with this problem or have any advice?
What ever she receives is it taxable?

Please help!
Thank you very much.

As far as I know for widows:

There is a $250 death benefit.
At age 60 she can draw a widows benefit of 1/2 of his amount until she is eligible for her own. Then she draws whichever is higher 1/2 of his or her own.

This assumes no dependant children.

She needs to talk to them more or read on the Social Security website.

crazy connie said:
As far as I know for widows:

There is a $250 death benefit.
At age 60 she can draw a widows benefit of 1/2 of his amount until she is eligible for her own. Then she draws whichever is higher 1/2 of his or her own.

The widow’s benefit is not 1/2 of the decedent's, it is identical to the decedent’s as long as she fulfills some requirements as to when she begins benefits, etc.

I recommend that she go in person to a SS office and talk to them. I know nothing about the buyout; if her own SS record is strong and vested already the buyout might be good for her since she would be depending on her own record anyway. If her record is such that his payment (suitably advanced by COLA until she would begin) might be better then don't let them buy her out!

This is a complicated situation, but she just needs someone who can think through the choices and likely she will not need a lawyer. Connie mentioned the SS website. This website has a section that explicitly deals with widows benefits. Widows/widowers benefits should not be confused with spousal benefits.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom