Zero Taxes?

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Hypothetical: Self-employed, No employees. Annual earned business income 22k. Business expenses = 10k ; Simple IRA max contribution =11k. After accounting for self employment tax , one personal exemption and real estate tax deduction on personal residence, taxes on the 22k should be close to zero.......is this thought process correct or am I missing something?

I am not a tax expert ( there are some on this board and maybe they will chime in) but I used a solo401k for 2006 and didn't pay taxes - similar to your situation but with more income. You might want to look into a solo for yourself if you want to move addtional non-qualified assests into non-taxable. At 22k you could put in about 20k.

Taking into account the 10k business exp, I assume one could easily do the remaining 11k into the solo 401k and still get the zero tax status.

Your thinking is correct, your liability would be $0

yup, zip, nadda .... AND if you had a kid you'ld GET ($1000) A REFUND!

Probably referring to the dependent tax credit, $1,000 per kid, which is refundable at a low enough income level. This means a person can actually receive income taxes from the feds (not just a refund of money paid in). See line 68 of this year's 1040.

2Cor521

You may not owe federal income tax, but you will still owe Social Security and Medicare taxes.

SecondCor521 said:
Probably referring to the dependent tax credit, $1,000 per kid, which is refundable at a low enough income level. This means a person can actually receive income taxes from the feds (not just a refund of money paid in). See line 68 of this year's 1040.

2Cor521

So, if you have, say, 400 kids, we're talkin' some serious money here! :LOL:

-CC

JustCurious said:
You may not owe federal income tax, but you will still owe Social Security and Medicare taxes.

But if the expenses were $22,000 then there'd be no tax whatsoever.

Would one's personal exemption and/or personal property tax deduction mitigate the fed tax/soc/medicare (ie., self employment) taxes. I would also think that in most staes, if there's no fed tax due, then no state tax would be due either.

ferco said:
Would one's personal exemption and/or personal property tax deduction mitigate the fed tax/soc/medicare (ie., self employment) taxes.

No, it would not mitigate the social security and medicare taxes.

Back
Top Bottom