Does anyone hold international real estate in their AA?

Olav23

Recycles dryer sheets
I am just wondering if anyone holds international real estate as a slice of their portfolios?

I saw that there is a relatively new ETF called streetTRACKS DJ Wilshire International Real Estate ETF (RWX) ER 0.6%

It looks like it has quite a run-up as of late, as do every other class, but wondered if anyone was actively adding it as a core holding in their allocations.

Just wondering!

Hi Olav,

I have not been willing to pay the high expense ratios. I researched this back in the early 2000's when there were fewer options.

Also, there is the tax problem. Most REIT-type dividends are not qualified and the dividends are high, also -- so you pay a lot of taxes in a taxable account. But if you put it into a tax deferred account you lose the foreign tax credit, which is probably another 0.2% drag.

This is actually an important asset class. Real estate is underrepresented in the public markets, and probably more so in foreign and developing markets, respectively.

I have read experts who say about 40% of all real estate price changes are global in nature (as we are seeing now). The rest is more country and region specific.

Kramer

Check out FIREX as an approach to foreign RE.
I've held it in a couple of accounts since its' inception which has only been a couple of years, but during that time it has done a good job compared to like funds.

I hold 10% of port in IGR. Bit expensive, but still yielding over 6%...

I closed out domestic RE a while back and international is the only thing I have for RE now in my portfolio. IGR and RWF are the only closed end funds I know and I own some of both and they have done very well recently - which may make them expensive now. (They both are also include US as well as foreign REITs).

I have also eased into a small position in RWX which has also done well.

I don't think the ER on any of these is excessive for an international investment. And they have certainly more than covered the cost recently.

JPatrick said:
Check out FIREX as an approach to foreign RE.
I've held it in a couple of accounts since its' inception which has only been a couple of years, but during that time it has done a good job compared to like funds.

ditto

I hold firex (about 1/3 of my RE allocation) and have been very pleased.

Not any more. Got rid of both domestic and international RE allocations in the interest of tax efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom