Skin Cancer Story on NPR

Interesting story for sure. It would be cool to be one of those super-pathologists!

Ha

Sort of like when I was a kid, every time I went to the dentist I needed 2 teeth drilled. ;)

Didn't check, but I wonder if this was the neanderthal in Sarasota who was using small pieces of chewing gum on the slide, diagnosing it himself as cancer, then doing skin surgery at a high fee.

One of his office assistants got suspicious and blew the whistle.

Sociopathy and greed. Bad combination.

oh lovely.

i am have three moles removed next week for a "punch" biopsy?

every week there are conflicting articles about health and what we should do/eat!

i was definitely a sun baby... :-[

Ouch. I have some freckling in upper torso and had a dermatologist take a look this year. He looked for four seconds and said I was fine and completely normal. My freckles are brown and he said look for ones that change into black and are more than 6 millimeters in diameter.

He said most skin cancer is determined by sun damage in the first five years of life, and to a lesser extent in the first fifteen years of life, unless you have a family history of skin cancer. He recommends that everyone examine themselves about once every three months.

They categorize people into five skin tone categories from white to black. I am pretty white, but he still said I was a 2 (not a 1) on this scale (I guess because my grandfather was Mediterranean). But risk is higher as your number lowers on this scale.

Kramer

i'm medium toned, asian - so less risk - but used to bake in the sun w/ no protection that i'm aware of for hours in the pool/outdoors... :-\
and several baaad burns.

all three are 5-6 mm big - two are on the scalp so i don't know what size they used to be - but i could "feel" them tingle, that's how i knew they existed! weird.

the other one used to be a dot size and is now 5-6 mm - :'(

not sure about history in the family, my dad has some large moles and ones that have grown large over his lifetime that he's had removed but i don't think they were cancer...

Good luck with this Bright Eyed!

Ha

all the data/ research is challenging to decipher

there were cases of rickets in sunny CA from kids who's parents were overly vigilant about sun exposure and they didn't get vitamin D!!!

i def got more than my share though...

you know the saying, the last thing you need is another hole in your head? well, i got two more today and one on my belly!

amazing how fast those local shots work though! didn't feel much but the needle...

get the "phone call" in 2 weeks on the biopsies! :-[

in the mean time, i found all these articles on the internet about how scalp melanoma is the hidden crisis etc...woooooh... thanks great, but i'm not one to worry until i have to - what a waste of time!

well, doc called and said a-ok!

now i have a narly scar on my tummy maybe i can get that mole back? it used to be kind of cute, but i guess it's a good thing i snipped it before it got bigger! ick... but the cut is almost an inch long and i just have two stiches holding the thing together and it puckered a little on one end...now i need plastic surgery! haha j/k

and the ones on my head at least, are hidden.

but i have to go get the stitches out next - more fun...

Back
Top Bottom