Blocking the Ads on This Forum

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm working on the best way to block the Google ads from appearing when I use the forum. Over half of the vertical area of my IE window is taken up by the ads, menus, etc., and that makes the forum a lot less usable for me.

It's one thing for Andy to make a lot of money from the content that we provide. I understand that it takes time and effort to maintain a forum, so that's a reasonable trade-off. But when the experience suffers due to the ads, that's a different story.

I've tried using the HOSTS method of blocking (click here), and it blocks the ad but then redirects me to a page because it can't find the ad.

Anyone got a good ad blocker that works here?

I personally use a little program called proxomitron. it is a proxy acting as an http filter.
you can still be downloaded it but it is not maintained. it sometimes blocks some things I want to do and I have to bypass it.
other than that it works great for me.

Thanks, Peri. I might try that, but in the meantime, this is one solution:

The HOSTS solution above didn't work because Dell's adware that is preinstalled automatically sends you to one of their sites (in conjunction with Google) every time you access a URL that doesn't exist.

You can prevent that with info from this page.

That doesn't give you back the space that the ads take up, but because you always see the same error message, it is less distracting (for me at least). The ads are designed to divert your attention, the error message is not.

Attachments

• AdBlocked.jpg
    AdBlocked.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
With the old software, on my screen you could see the titles of nine threads.

With the new software, you can only see six.

I'd suggest proxomitron as well. Firefox allegedly has some plugin stuff, but i'm so used to tuning out ads on other sites that I hadnt even noticed these.

You might also try a 32" monitor. :)

I'm working on the best way to block the Google ads from appearing when I use the forum. Over half of the vertical area of my IE window is taken up by the ads, menus, etc., and that makes the forum a lot less usable for me.

It's one thing for Andy to make a lot of money from the content that we provide. I understand that it takes time and effort to maintain a forum, so that's a reasonable trade-off. But when the experience suffers due to the ads, that's a different story.

I've tried using the HOSTS method of blocking (click here), and it blocks the ad but then redirects me to a page because it can't find the ad.

Anyone got a good ad blocker that works here?

Al - I use Firefox with the AdblockPlus extension - I see no ads now.....

Just so you know, the headers are the same size, attached is a screen shot of each forum software. You can see there nearly no difference in the amount of vertical space taken by the new design.

As for the amount of posts you can see on one page, the show thread is laid out a little differently and each row indeed does take up about 20% more space.

Just look on the bright site, the site costs less then a dryer sheet to use, and you get to share so much information for FREE!

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 4
That adblockplus was easy to install and seems to do a great job.

Andy - lots of luck trying to pump sunshine about ads to a bunch of grumpy old rich people ;)

I guess I just have a very anti-ad bias. I apparently inherited this, because I remember in 1960, that my grandmother would always get up and turn down the volume on the TV during the commercials.

On television, nearly one-third of the time is devoted to commercials. For example, an episode of "Lost" is only 42 minutes long. But that's not enough, many channels also have advertising at the bottom of the screen, designed to divert your attention away from the show you're watching. In addition there are product placements, and Jay Leno's "Take a look at the new Toyota Prius" that sits in the outdoor audience during the musical presentation.

If I'm on hold for tech support, I have to listen to advertisements. My tracfone sometimes beeps to ask me to look at an advertisement. There are some nice views around here that are blocked by billboards.

img_518517_0_79895c5546552c7958612da98ff78470.jpg

Well, I'm now a Firefoxer! Adblock not only lets me get rid of the ads, but the other unwanted images too! Thanks for the tip.

WithNoAds.jpg

Maybe Firefox should partner with Burger King so they can share the slogan "Have it your way!"

Well, I'm now a Firefoxer! Adblock not only lets me get rid of the ads, but the other unwanted images too! Thanks for the tip.

Now I Just need to convince my boss to let me run firefox on my computer at work so that when Im browsing the Early Retirement Forums I dont have to look at the annoying adds. :p

Same screen but with the ads:

WithAds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom