Any of you gys pay water bills like this?

farmerEd

Full time employment: Posting here.
Chemical level too high, yet water rate may rise - Orlando Sentinel : Seminole County News Chemical level too high, yet water rate may rise - Orlando Sentinel : Seminole County News

Yikes, almost $300/month for water (and sewer I preseume ).

Sometimes I get mad at the almost $8500/year I pay in property taxes, but have to remind myself that my property comes with free (pristine) water from a deep well, private sewer and unlimited amount of firewood to heat my home, so in effect my almost $700/month covers property taxes, heat, water and sewer (and plenty of room to spread my wings)...

Guess I am spoiled with free water, had no idea that water was getting so expensive in some places.

Aqua water is buying up many water companies across the country. Had them in NJ, rates went up after the purchase.

Water/Sewer rates in my north Houston suburb run as low as $30 a month in the winter and just over $100 in the summertime when everyone is watering their lawns and demand peaks.

We get tagged for a shade over $100 a month for water & sewer, and I know that the system is in bad shape and will require $$$ upgrades in the near future. Either the municipality will make them and raise rates, or Aqua will buy the system, make the required investments, and raise rates. You want clean water, you gotta pay.

My water bill includes sewerage, trash pickup, mosquito control, recycling, and an assessment for upkeep of a local park. All of this comes to less than $15 per month all year long. It is billed every two months.

The water part of my most recent bill is the same as usual, $4.94, which comes to only $2.47/month. My bill says that I used 2,000 gallons during this two month period. That is probably a minimum charge. Yes, I do shower daily and wash my clothes each week, but there is only one of me and I spent one week traveling this past month. New Orleans has a high annual rainfall and consequently very few people water their lawns; I don't even own a sprinkler. I would vastly appreciate a showerhead that wasn't "low flow", but the government in its infinite wisdom has decided that I can't buy one like that any more. Might use too much water, y'know. :rant:

There have been articles in the paper about people paying $300 or more for water since the storm, and I believe them. I think there are many huge leaks in the underground water pipes in New Orleans caused by Katrina. I live in a suburb, and I am obviously fortunate that any leakage doesn't affect my neighborhood or house. My water bill remains the same as it was before the storm.

Last edited:
Yikes, almost $300/month for water (and sewer I preseume ).
Guess I am spoiled with free water, had no idea that water was getting so expensive in some places.
Man, we were feeling pretty sorry for ourselves with $50-$100/month bills and Hawaii's rotted sewage system facing EPA lawsuits.

Never mind...

My water is free. That is if you don't count the $14,000 we spent to drill a well and put in a storage tank and pumps. And if you don't count the $2,500 we spent replacing the submersible pump and 500 feet of wire after a lightning strike.

That averages out to only $162/month...

$35-38/month for water/sewer/trash/recycling. 6000 gallons per month water consumption typically.

You well owners are including the price of electricity to pump the water out of your wells, right? :)

At Cal Maritime students asked an industry speaker what will happen to the tanker fleet when oil runs out. The answer was, "Haul fresh water."

We average about $25 month (a little less in the winter and a little more in the summer) of which half is the basic service fee and the other half is the usage fee. For two people, with a 1/3 acre lot which we only occasionally water, we used 82 CCF over the past year. If I am doing the conversion right, that equals roughly 5100 gallons per month. We have city sewer, which is included in our property tax.

26.37 a month. Condo development. Total Water bill for development $25,310 divided by 80 units comes to $316.38 per year per unit or 316.38 divided by 12 months or $26.37.

City Water and sewer 50.00 no lawn watering, If watering lawn add another 30 a month.

$8.02 for April.

$10.80 for sewer.

$15 for trash and recycling pick up

provided by city (trash and recycling contracted out)

$150/month with a pool plus grass in the back yard. The front is all rocks and doesn't get watered.

city water bill (including sewage & garbage) $65 month. water quality is excellent (wtp & distribution system continually updated) though i only use it for washing. for drinking i use further refined or bottled spring water and for the garden i have well-water.

when i first bought house i found in backyard a well that probably hadn't been used in 20 years or more. likely it was the original water source for the early 1940s builder of this house. one of my first projects was to hook it up with a new pump, then tied into and add to existing irrigation system. knock wood on any of the now planted over 35 species of palm trees but so far it has worked like a charm.

a new neighbor who never bothered looking for his well (i'm almost certain we all have one) pays over $300/month just to water his lawn. as he keeps his lawn impeccable and as we are now under water restrictions (can water only one day a week due to draught) and as he has no brown spots, i suspect he is risking very high fines to keep his green green.

ps. in most of florida it is pretty easy and relatively cheap to put in a well. the water, which is pretty close to the surface (often within 20-30 feet or even less) tends to smell of sulfer but it is safe (at least for washing & watering) as is or can be conditioned. my abovementioned neighbor probably could have put one in for two grand but didn't want rust stains from the water. another neighbor across the street from my house who is turning his house into a $1mm minimansion hooked up to his existing well but added a very fancy conditioning system so it removes all the impurities and doesn't leave rust stains. my house, of course, is stained a lovely color of rust. but i think it is rustic and adds to the character of the property.

Last edited:
$57 a month average for last years water & sewer, trash etc. is extra

I'm going to miss our old $15 a month "all you can eat" water bill, but I wont miss digging up the septic system and pumping it every 3-4 years.

Of course, we had minimal grass and watering needs there. New house will run well over $100-150 a month in the summer. Loads of grass. Loads of fruit trees. :p

Wierd. In the Boston area 4 years ago we were paying about $9/mo. for water and sewer combined. Little yard, so little watering.. but otherwise all the regular stuff for 2 adults. No real eye towards conservation given the figgers. I used to pay them $50 or $100 bucks at a time so I could carry a credit and save on stamps/checks/annoyance.

What used to crack me up when I lived in the boston area was the constant "water conservation" blah-blah. Fer crying out loud, if you dug 3" into the dirt you hit damp soil.

House in Phoenix, AZ. that is empty - but use water for irragation drip system-small back yard area. My bill is for sewer/water/trash and has been running around $127 a month, with no one living there. That hurts.

Back
Top Bottom