Is age discrimination alive and well

Jay Mc

Confused about dryer sheets
Good to join this forum--thanks for allowing me to participate. I was forced to early retirement (57) due to company selling. Was in telecommunications for 32 years. Relocated to upstate SC and thought finding part time or full time would be easy. Have applied for 100 + jobs from assistant hospital gift shop clerk to selling wireless phones.

My response is always --filled due to a more qualified candidate.

Would like to hear if any other members have experienced the same

Thanks,

Jay Mc:D

As any HR person will tell you qualifications are about 'fit' for the position.

Your experience has been in telecom, I assume in a technical capacity, and selecting officials can't get past that.

You will be much more successful if you apply for a position that leverages your experience. Consider satellite or cable installation as an option. Perhaps troubleshooting or even installing low voltage equipment. The design and installation of home security/ sound/ computer systems is very profitable I hear. Like today's telecom networks many are monitored remotely. That might be right up your alley.

DIL of a Telephone Pioneer gone to the switchroom in heaven
SIL of an ATT network tec, twice downsized.

I am 51 better qualified for some Physical Education Positions than most and am told sorry but we have someone else for the 20% and 40% no bennies teaching jobs. Heck last Fridays interview was over the minute I walked in I could tell. My credentials are solid, that said they love that I will sub at 100 dollars a day and would rather I do that then pay me 300 a day as a teacher who will leave in less than 10 years. I guess I see their point.

By the way I am keeping a file of all my rejections. It humbles me.

It doesn't matter how old you are, you still need to know someone on the inside to have a shot at getting hired. Firing buckshot at every position advertised in the newspaper just wastes everyone's time.

My experience on re-entry ablative heat shields - qualified me to put together children's playground equipment(along with other engineers), judge Junior High/Middle School Science Fair projects and serve free draft beer at a business/Chamber of Commerce Fair.

All jobs were unpaid with no French benefits - oh wait! - the French don't drink beer do they.

heh heh heh - dang booth was so busy - even trying to sneak in a free beer was tough! ;).