How did I do it without the ER forums?

csf13

Confused about dryer sheets
I retired 5.5 years ago at 44 - the best move I ever made. I didn't have much figured out, but I tracked expenses carefully, and rough-calculated that we (DW & I) had enough. Well, so far so good (we started with $1.25 million, built a small house, and currently have $1.2 million). In the last few months, I've discovered this site and the Vanguard Bogleheads (it would have been nice to know about both when I was trying to decide when to quit :eek:), and a whole lot of stuff I was ignorant about has emerged: #1 is this business of a SWR (or is it just a WR or a WD?) ... when is considered the best time to make the withdrawals? The first of the year with the amount being placed in a MM or ST Bond Fund and drawn out monthly, or end of year or only as needed, or some other method? I've just been spending what we need (about 3.25% of total), and since we live fairly simply, it's been working. Perhaps I should be more precise. :cool:

Thanks. It's really great to be here.

Welcome and congrats on ER! Wish I could have retired at 44. But I'm not complaining......most of my buddies are envious of me retiring at 52. :)

Congrats. I was in the situation you are at about the same age. We are still working because of Health Insurance concerns. Will FIRE in about 4 years (health benes available). If DW gets a buyout package (from work) that includes Insurance coverage, we may do it sooner.

Wow, congrats and welcome to the board. I will be joining you in FIRE in 5 days. I was lucky to trip over this site about a year or so ago. It has helped immensely. Sounds like you got it right.

Given "sell in May and walk away"

that might be a good time. I remain somewhat flexible about it since I usually maintain a few years in MM until I need it. Another method would be to track your portfolio and do it whenever it is up significantly. Overall, it probably doesn't matter that much since you are only liquidating a small amount of your portfolio, and if you don't reinvest dividends and interest, even less.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom