New ETF: Sudan-Free social ETF

Olav23

Recycles dryer sheets
I thought this was interesting. Some of these ETFs are getting razor sharp in their selection criteria. I wonder how long till we'll start seeing "World ex-al'qaeda Index" and "RAFI Democrat Causes" ETFs...

It is also strange that they single out one country. I would venture to say there have been many atrocities in many countries we now freely invest. Though, I guess you have to draw the moral line in the sand somewhere.

NEW YORK, June 25 (Reuters) - New exchange-traded funds launched on Monday on U.S. exchanges include one based on divestment in Sudan.
Claymore Securities said it launched the Claymore/KLD Sudan Free Large-Cap Core ETF (KSF.A: Quote, Profile , Research) on the American Stock Exchange. The fund tracks a large-cap index investing according to social criteria and avoids companies with business ties to Sudan.
The index excludes companies with business involvement in Sudan, such as ownership or control of property or assets in the country.

I would say this is mostly a gimmick. Sudan is dirt-poor. I doubt that it's too tough to find companies that have no business ties to the Sudan. There's a bit of oil there, and lots of desert. Some swamps in the south. Lot's of very poor people, some Arab, some not.

Why Sudan-free? Why not Iran-free? North Korea-free? Venezuela-free? WMD-free? (THAT one would likely be impossible).

Looking at the list on another thread, I'm surprised there are as many companies as there are. I wonder, however, what percentage of, say, Nokia's interests are invested there. Probably pretty miniscule.

Back
Top Bottom