Alma Maters

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Nords' recent travelogue looking at colleges made me nostalgic.

For those who chose to do the college thing, what's your alma mater, and what was your major?

Me: University of Virginia, comparative literature

It was an all men's school back in the 60s. I discovered that after I got down there as a freshman. Lots of road trips. It was all good, from what I remember. Managed to squeeze in all my pre-meds around the non-science major.

Northern Michigan University - Nominally Computer Science but I actually structured 80% of the courses in my major and minor.

It's hard to explain the area but suffice it to say that many people that spend any amount of time in the area spend their lives trying to figure out how to get back.

I sort of missed out on the whole college experience though. I was living at home the whole time I attended (but, in my defense, I started when I was 14 so it's not quite as weird as it sounds)

Stephen F. Austin (the F stands for Fuller ;)) State University of Nacogdoches, TX - Political Science/Economics.

Known in those days (the 60's) as "The Home of Virgin Pines and Tall Women".

U of Wisconsin (Madison) - BS Math
Indiana University - MBA

Kent State University in Ohio (yes, it's that Kent State) and my degree was a Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education. But I ended up being an accountant.

My son goes there now. It was such a great day to go back there with him and walk the campus and show him where his father and I used to have classes and hang out. But the hills sure are steeper than they used to be!

All ma' Taters?
St. John's College, Santa Fe NM campus.
Major? They don't tell you, but it had something to do with shadows in caves and Euclidean geometry and Voltaire and de Tocquville and odd science experiments and Tolstoy and Epictetus and astronomy and learning a bit of Greek and French so you could argue about "logos" and "In the beginning there was ..." and mangle French poetry. Invaluable stuff. It didn't totally fulfill Heinlein's criteria for how to make a man:
(A man) "should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects".

But it wasn't a bad start. I'm pretty fair at pitching manure.

BS in mech eng - Arizona State University - don't recognize the place now - remember it was hot almost all year - they had a nasty habit of placing manure on the little bit of grass they had and then 'irrigating' or flooding the area - that combined with the heat made for a noxious smelling combination in the fall while walking the campus - good things -we have two buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright - the Grady Gammage auditorium and the music school - both are pink :)

MS in Biomed eng - Hartford Grad Ctr - outpost of Renssalaer Polytech - in Hartford, CT - spent most of my time at Hartford Hosp, local 1000 bed trauma hospital....definitely New England - fall is gorgeous there

Mississippi State University - BS in Accounting - Below is a pic of the business school where I spent most of my time.
img12.jpg

This be the ego wall of threads, huh?

Cornell, '75 undergrad, psych
U Mich, grad, neuroscience
UC Berkeley, post-doc

The truth is that I didn't directly use all that training in science. Got disillusioned with science by the end of my post-doc, and got a job writing educational computer games.

Georgetown University, BSFS

My sister went to U. Va. I remember helping her move in since my parents were overseas. She had so much junk, she forgot most of her clothing and had to make another tip.

University of Georgia, Agricultural Engineering, 1968, back to graduate school in engineering 1973-1975.

Interesting financial recollection: In 1964, fall quarter, I paid $87.50 for tuition, $55 for 21 quarter hours of books (6 classes), $350 for a 3-meal meal ticket. (How do I remember these figures?)

By comparison, my daughter’s first semester tuition, fees etc. at Washington University in St. Louis in fall 2005 was around $20,000 before scholarships. :duh:

Of course, quarters are cheaper than semesters. :D

BS - U.S. Naval Academy
JD - Yale Law School

definitely divergent cultures

A good assumption, but no. The Navy taught me to operate a nuclear reactor, which is what I first did when I left the service. Then I did a complete 180 degree turn, quit work and went to law school. (When I told my mom I was going to law school, she said "Why? You have a good job."). I now do corporate restructuring and bankruptcy work, but not for much longer.

University of Washington - B.S. chemistry - back in the ancient days when one was armed with a slipstick, black umbrella and a London Fog trenchcoat.

Go Huskies!

heh heh heh - ?? when did the 'Dawgs' nickname show up?

UVA - BA's in Economics, Psychology, Cognitive Science
Yale Law - JD (in process)

Tuskegee University in Alabama
BS in Accounting

Didn't graduate high school '72
Accepted into Va community college system on promise that I would get a GED, got GED (in the 99th percentile) '75
transferred to Virginia Tech, Chem Eng '76
BS Comp Sci University of MD '82

All while working. Work paid most of tuition and books.

Mike D.

University of Nebraska, BS in CompSci. Go Big Red!

Back
Top Bottom