New - dilemma

Carol0720

Confused about dryer sheets
I am subscribing to this because I turn 62 in a few days. I am in a total dilemma about retirement. I would like to continue my lifestyle of eating out and buying books,etc. when I want to, yet since I am a middle school teacher, my job is becoming extremely difficult. My parents are both alive and almost 90.It is so hard to know what to do about retirement. Wait until I am 67? I am curious about others in the same boat.

I am subscribing to this because I turn 62 in a few days. I am in a total dilemma about retirement. I would like to continue my lifestyle of eating out and buying books,etc. when I want to, yet since I am a middle school teacher, my job is becoming extremely difficult. My parents are both alive and almost 90.It is so hard to know what to do about retirement. Wait until I am 67? I am curious about others in the same boat.

Welcome to the board. Your overall situation is not unique, though I am sure its specific details are.

You'll find good advice here to the extent that you are comfortable providing more specifics. For example, do you have a pension, 403b or other retirement savings, debts, etc. Are your parents in need of your support (or is a large inheritance imminent)? Share with us what you are comfortable with, and you'll receive a lot of general guidance.

In any case, glad you found the board. Look around the forums and read some of the discussions of interest. Anyone who survived decades of teaching middle school deserves a rest ;).

Last edited:
First of all, welcome! You've come to the right place -- there's lots of good advice here.

Have you searched the forum for answers to your questions? Have you run FIRECalc? (That's a computer program that analyzes your financial input to calculate whether you have enough to retire as you wish for the length of time you expect.) The link is at the bottom of this page.

Before you get any answers from this forum, expect to be asked lots of questions about your current situation -- e.g., how much have you saved for retirement? What are your expenses? Is your home paid for? Do you have a COLAd/or non-COLAd pension? What about your need for health insurance in retirement?

Like I said, you'll get lots of advice here. Good luck!

Your library has more books than you could read in five lifetimes. There, I solved half of your problem. ;)

Hi Carol, and welcome to the board.

I suppose it's a question of money. How much more will you have to spend at 67, and is the extra worth it? I'd guess we're mostly "sooner rather than later" folks here. >:D

It might be that you're giving away more information in your user name that you really intended. If that's the case, you might want to send a "private message" to Andy R, who runs the board, to see if he might be able to change it for you.

Coach

It might be that you're giving away more information in your user name that you really intended. If that's the case, you might want to send a "private message" to Andy R, who runs the board, to see if he might be able to change it for you.

Yes, you should definitely change that. I don't think you want to be sharing some of this info without being somewhat anonymous about it.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom