Help Me Pack

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm packing for my Southern California surfing/camping safari. Let me know if you can think of anything I should take that isn't already on one of these three checklists. Thanks.

From Camping Checklist

Books
Clothing
Dark Glasses
Hat w/ Visor
Hiking Shoes
Long Underwear
Sleeping Bags
Therma rests
Toilet Kits
Backpack
Binoculars
Chairs
Compass
Earplugs
Fire Oil
Fire Starting Stuff
Fireplace Mitts
Firewood
First Aid Kit
Flashlight
Flashlight Batteries Fresh
Flip Grill
Food
Hammock
Headlamp Flashlight
Hiking Socks
Insect Repellent
Kitchen Kit
Lantern
Liquid Soap
Marshmallows
Matches
Paper Towels
Pillows or Pillow Cases
Plates
Rope
Salt
Stove
Stove Fuel
Straps
Sunscreen
Swiss Army Knife
Tent
Tent Pegs
Tent Poles
Toilet Paper
Towels
Tylenol
Utensils
Water Bottles
Wool Shirt
Camera

From General Trip Checklist
Underwear
T-Shirts
Warm Shirt
Pants
Socks
Rain Jacket
Food for Car Trip
Running Shorts
Jock Straps
Sweat Band
Bathing Suit
Camera
Camera Charger
Camera Extra Battery
Laptop
Laptop Charger
Sleeping Bags
Computer Glasses
Water Bottles
Hat w/ Visor
Flashlight
Flashlight Batteries Fresh
Books
Dark Glasses
Binoculars
Swiss Army Knife
Toilet Kits
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Comb
Pain Reliever
Dental Floss
Computer Glasses
Shampoo
Soap
4-Way
Pillows
PalmPilot
Desk Calendar
Gifts

From Tropical Vacation Checklist
Underwear
T-Shirts
Shorts
Socks
Running Shorts
Jock Straps
Sweat Band
Bathing Suits
Camera
Camera Charger
Camera Extra Battery
Water Bottles
Hat w/ Visor
Books
Dark Glasses
Binoculars
Swiss Army Knife
Toilet Kits
Shaver
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Comb
Pain Reliever
Dental Floss
Shampoo
Soap
4-Way
PalmPilot
Snorkeling Masks
Snorkels
Gifts
Sun Screen
Windsurf Harness
Guidebooks
Reference Sheets
Waterproof Watch
Reservations/Itinerary
Money
Credit Card
Debit Card
Driver’s License
Earplugs
Spare Glasses
Spare Dark Glasses
Headphones
CD Player
Sandals
Flip-Flops
Instructions for Getting Messages
Remove unnecessary items from wallet
Cash
Cell Phone
Cell Phone Charger

Maps? BTW, how's the recover from surgery? Take your vicodin along just in case.

not sure if your toilet kit includes q-tips, but mine would...

and i like to bring a few extra small and large size ziplocks to store food, bath stuff...and a plastic bag or two for wet/dirty items...

have fun!

Golly, you might want to check with your airline to ascertain the weight limit for your luggage :)

I'd skip the long underwear.

What's a "4-way?"

Where's the surfboard?

you forgot the house to store it in.

Here are the answers:

I will be a celibate surfer.
Recovery all done. Feel great -- better than new.
4-way is nasal decongestant, for if I'm stuffed up and trying to sleep.
Ziplocs and q-tips, thanks.
If I forget the surfboard, then what to pack isn't my biggest problem.

And just in case you've forgotten something I'm sure there's a handy dandy Walmart close buy that will have everything you need.

does you grill or lantern need propane? For camping I also take a hammer, ax, wisk broom to sweep out tent, shovel if you need to dig your own latrene, and dish soap and spong to wash dishes and large plastic bags for trash. Also bug repellent. Don't have my camping list here to cross check anything else.

I like how marshmellows are listed separately from food....

i knew there was a reason i was never into camping.

the simple life looks too complicated.

enjoy.

Al, sounds like a great trip. El Cap is a neat park/beach but it's the wrong time of year for surf around there. Malibu... park guards just shot and killed a visitor, so behave. Not likely any surf at the 'Bu either, but you never know, watch out for the local crowd if it is breaking. Where you could score is San O. Some of the trails in the campground have good spots. Old Mans, Churches, uppers and lowers (Trestles) and Cottons, just north of the camp ground are all good spots. Bring your boxing gloves if you want to surf Trestles. I'd stick with Old Mans for long boarders (with the added advantage of the nuclear plant right down the beach!). Down south farther could be good too, depending if we get some swell. This has been a real stinker of a summer so far wave wise. If you want to stop off for a surf as you pass through northern Orange County, PM me and we can set up a meet at my "secret" spot, Bolsa Chica. I know which sand bars are going off if there are waves.

Attachments

• southendbolsa2.jpg
    southendbolsa2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
Duct tape! Among many uses: taping over blisters or hotspots, tent/backpack repair, leak stopper, emergency splint...

If it's a longish trip, I'd also bring a small sewing kit (just a couple needles and a bit of thread) to repair rips in backpackpack/clothes.

I hate to pack anything at all.

On our recent trip to Alaska, I told DW that if she would pack for both of us, she could pack as much as she liked of her stuff and whatever she wanted of my stuff in the space that was left as long as she would not compalin that my shoes did match my belt or some-such fashon criteria. It worked out well. I can live with a couple of pairs of jeans and a few shirts for a long time. The rest is just candy.

IMHO... if "hat with visor" means a baseball-type thing, ditch it and get one with the brim all the way around.

Hot California sun will fry the tops of those tender ears of yours... lots of folks get skin cancer there...

Holy crap - I'm going to Chile to ski and my list isn't half that long - umm, you're driving so you have the luxury of space - right? I don't even pack that much when I'm in my car going somewhere. I'm reading a book about Ultra-light backpacking - perhaps that could help ;-)

When I awoke this morning, the first thing that I thought of was whether there were towels and wash cloths on your list. That is a definite first for me-waking up and wondering if a person that I have never met, had packed something! I see that you have towels on your list, but not wash cloths, unless I missed them. Then again, being a guy, you might not even use them:confused: Anyway, don't forget to have a good time!

Name in the waistband of your skivvies? Dime to put in your shoe to make the all important phone call?

So this is what it's like to plan a getaway in retirement. Last trip to the Yucatan was done with 18 hours notice.

My adds if they are not already buried in that megalist:
Long sleeve rash guard: even with sun block the shoulders will fry after a few days
small travel tool kit: swiss army knife will only go so far
board "quick" repair kit: something like SunCure fiberfill, spare fins, spare leash, blah, blah, blah
speader bar: assume you include it with the harness
Supply of Mr Zog's or equivalent
Laird Hamilton inspirational DVD

Thanks for the reminders.

DW is not going surfing, she's going to a class reunion of her kindergarten class! This is in Luleå, Sweden, near the arctic circle.

SwedenMap.jpg

Out of 33 members of the kindergarten class, 26 are going to make it to the reunion.

This was a trip I did not want to make, so the surfing safari was born. Since this is a public forum, I should mention that our house will not be vacant -- we have a house sitter.

Back
Top Bottom