Retire later, retire happier

That's a big negatory on that load of bunk...

Sooo - in a year or so I wrap up 15 years of early retirement (49-64), think about it and shazam - do a second career/go over to the Dark side/W^*K!!!

Hmmm - wouldn't be prudent.

heh heh heh - :D

This sentence from the article was pretty depressing:

There's been a big increase in labor-force participation for people 55 to 69 in the past five years; all other age groups were flat or down.

I can see some dreadful possibilities we might witness in a few decades. Imagine millions of feeble, exhausted, white-headed old men and women slaving away their final years on this earth. :'(

I can see some dreadful possibilities we might witness in a few decades. Imagine millions of feeble, exhausted, white-headed old men and women slaving away their final years on this earth. :'(

Exactly the reason I have never and will never begrudge a penny of medicare or ss taxes I pay, even thoug I fully expect to get zippo out of the deal.

Exactly the reason I have never and will never begrudge a penny of medicare or ss taxes I pay, even thoug I fully expect to get zippo out of the deal.

Thanks, brewer. I'm gonna need them.

Gypsy,
still laboring in the fields of mammon.

I recall

one of the leading causes of unhappiness is being unemployed. A measure of how much people are trained to be workers.

I'm glad some people are planning to keep working. I need them to pay in to SS.

Something is going to have to change.

I believe the government is going to do some social engineering of some sort to keep people working and consider delaying medicare and SS as long as possible.

They will do it via tax incentives to work and perhaps defer SS and Medicare and disincentives to Retire younger and take SS/medicare.

They could reduce income taxes on people over 62 that continued to work (and kept them paying into SS and Medicare)... the government is likely to be no worse off.

But that will only solve part of the problem.

IMO - I suspect that we are likely to have to increase legal immigration substantially over the next 20 years at all levels of education and skills.

IMO - I suspect that we are likely to have to increase legal immigration substantially over the next 20 years at all levels of education and skills.

Nothing wrong with encouraged immigration. That is what made North America what it is today, and what will continue to be needed in the future. At least North America is somewhat receptive to this. Europe is just beginning to have social unheaval because of a similar need and Japan is just in downright denial.

I believe the government is going to do some social engineering of some sort to keep people working and consider delaying medicare and SS as long as possible.
They will do it via tax incentives to work and perhaps defer SS and Medicare and disincentives to Retire younger and take SS/medicare.
They'll do it through planting articles like this in the media. Search for keywords like "bored", "unfulfilled", and "re-wire!"

It's so much cheaper than Plunge Protection Teams and black helicopters...

Especially skilled nurses and geriatric-care technologies!

Luckily it looks like the clients will be applying for these benefits through their workplaces.

Cubicles in continuing care facilities. What a concept...

one of the leading causes of unhappiness is being unemployed. A measure of how much people are trained to be workers.
It may also be because not every unemployed person is a millionaire. Some have kids that depend on them, wives that lose respect and leave them, and desperately needed medical insurance for themselves and their families that they no longer have.

And some of them even have rent or mortgage payment to make, and food to buy.

Poor deluded fools! Why aren't they joyful to have cast off their yokes?

Ha

I see this starting already at Target, and a few other places. At least Target will hire seniors and they offer health insurance after a few months of employment.

Everywhere we go we see seniors in low pay service jobs. Since standing on your feet all day at a cash register, or stocking shelves is probably not on their "wish fullfillment list", I assume they have to work to make ends meet. I point them out to DH and say this is why we are following our plan, so we don't find ourselves here.

Everywhere we go we see seniors in low pay service jobs. Since standing on your feet all day at a cash register, or stocking shelves is probably not on their "wish fullfillment list", I assume they have to work to make ends meet. I point them out to DH and say this is why we are following our plan, so we don't find ourselves here.

Sometimes I wonder how many of them didn't create and follow a good plan, and how many of them DID but then got their pension jerked out from under them, lost their shirt in the dot-com mess, or whatever.

Personally I would like to avoid having to work purely out of necessity when I am elderly. I have created several layers of "safety net" in my plan, but no matter how cautious I am, I can envision possibilities that could derail everything. One part of my safety net system is to diversify sources of income. So far I plan for my income to come from a small pension, small SS checks, funds, CDs, small annuity, and I am planning on more income than I would probably need for a bare bones non-working existence. I am keeping an eye out for other ideas.

I think a lot of the older women I see are widows .They probably left everything up to the DH and when he died his pension stopped or was reduced and the social security went from two checks to one.

I think a lot of the older women I see are widows .They probably left everything up to the DH and when he died his pension stopped or was reduced and the social security went from two checks to one.

That's the usual conclusion. But in actuality most older women that you would see working in service jobs are divorced. Their former husbands did not have highly paid jobs and so could not pay much alimony and they won't have a big pension coming either. These women are going to be dependent on social security and medicare when they can't work any longer. (BTW, there are lots of men in this situation as well).This will be, not just IMHO, a huge societal problem in about 20 years.

Cubicles in continuing care facilities. What a concept...

:D :LOL: "An assisted working facility"..... Depends are in the Supply Closet on the shelf above the wheel chairs.....

Q. Surveys show that boomers indeed want to work longer, yet the average retirement age is falling. What's the deal?
A. People aren't really retiring early. They're ending their first careers and taking a break until they figure out what they can do next. There's been a big increase in labor-force participation for people 55 to 69 in the past five years; all other age groups were flat or down.
But there's still a mismatch between what people want and what employers are willing to let them do.

:D I love that last sentence....I really cant see much reason to work for megacorp/government jobs once you are FI....My current employer really doesnt care about what you want.....It is more about them dictating what they want....

Back
Top Bottom