9/11/07

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Remember those who have died.

On Tuesday, September 11th, 2007, an American flag should be displayed outside every home, apartment, office, and store in the United States. Every individual should m ake it their duty to display an American flag on this anniversary of our country's worst tragedy. We do this in honor of those who lost their lives on 9/11, their families, friends and loved ones who continue to endure the pain, and those who today are fighting at home and abroad to preserve our cherished freedoms.

In the days, weeks and months following 9/11, our country was bathed in American flags as citizens mourned the incredible losses and stood shoulder-to-shoulder against terrorism. Sadly, those flags have all but disappeared. Our patriotism pulled us through some tough times and it shouldn't take another attack to galvanize us in solidarity. Our American flag is the fabric of our country and together we can prevail over terrorism of all kinds.

I have had a small American flag displayed by the nameplate at the entry of my office every day since September, 2001. In fact, somehow I came upon another one last year so now I display two!

This despite the fact that the American flags displayed by so many in 2001 reminded me of hanging garlic to ward away vampires. It's not like they will keep terrorists away! I still like displaying mine, though.

After I wrote this, Frank took me out to lunch. When I stepped out of my house, I saw that my house had an American flag flying out front!! A local political candidate placed these flags (about 18" wide, mounted on sticks) in every front yard in the neighborhood as a tribute to those who died on 9/11.

Remember those who have died.
Sadly, those flags have all but disappeared.
Ours is still flying. Of course we're on our sixth or seventh one, but cost is not the issue.

Ours is still flying. Of course we're on our sixth or seventh one, but cost is not the issue.

I was about to ask - why do we need a 'special day' like Sept. 11th to fly flags? Why can't it be every day?

Then again, the whole idea of 'special days' really befuddles me. Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries... all of those things represent things that we can celebrate every day -- our love, our life, our thanks, etc.

Needless to say, my wife fully supports my goal to FIRE by sharing my view in celebrating life rather than arbitrarily decided events.

Our neighborhood sure helps keep the flag companies in business. Our flags are flying every day, and have been for years....even before 9/11/01!

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I am curious why individuals display flags so much in the US. Every time I visit there they seem to be more and more plentiful. Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs). I realize that the US has not had the same bitter experience of the downside of nationalism that Japan had, but still, it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.

Here's a theory -- since Americans lack a cohesive ethnic identity, they cling to nationalism to satisfy the tribalistic urge. To test this theory, one could look at other immigration-heavy countries, and see if the same phenomenon prevails. Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I am curious why individuals display flags so much in the US. Every time I visit there they seem to be more and more plentiful. Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs). I realize that the US has not had the same bitter experience of the downside of nationalism that Japan had, but still, it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.

Here's a theory -- since Americans lack a cohesive ethnic identity, they cling to nationalism to satisfy the tribalistic urge. To test this theory, one could look at other immigration-heavy countries, and see if the same phenomenon prevails. Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?

We believe strongly in our country. The same can not necessarily be said of all of our politicians.

Hmmm sounds a little too complex and somewhat insulting.

Try this, Americans know that we live in a great country and we're proud of it.

We fly our flag proudly in front of our house every day.

Hmmm sounds a little too complex and somewhat insulting.

Try this, Americans know that we live in a great country and we're proud of it.

Sorry, did not mean to be insulting. Note that I am a US citizen myself, think it is a great country, etc. It just would never occur to me to fly a flag as a private citizen, unless I wanted to proclaim that I was operating a post office or something. But when I visit now, I feel like everyone else has joined some kind of club and I missed the initiation ceremony (and perhaps that was 9/11).

........ it looks peculiar looking in from the outside. I don't think I remember seeing so many of them when I was growing up, though maybe I was just inured to the sight.

In the neighborhood that I grew up in, and still live in, I think it would be pretty peculiar, if not down right ODD, if I went outside and didn't see the Stars & Stripes blowing in the breeze!!! It may be just a "small town" thing, but more likely it's because most of the families that were here when I was growing up, were families of WWII Vets and parents of WWII Vets. Most started flying our colors during the war, and just never quit afterward. I know for a fact that is how and why my folks, and my grandparents, and many of our neighbors kept the tradition alive.

We fly our flag to honor all of the veterans, living and deceased, that have fought to keep and to protect the freedom that we, as Americans, cherish and enjoy!!!

I don't like most of our politicians, but I most certainly LOVE our magnificent country!!! And I'll definitely keep Old Glory flying here at my homestead until they plant my @$$ 6 feet under!!! To do otherwise would be.....peculiar!

Attachments

• Veterans Salute --  All Gave Some - Some Gave All.gif
    Veterans Salute -- All Gave Some - Some Gave All.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 7
Here in Japan you almost never see a flag except on a government building, and individuals almost never display them unless they are at an international sports contest (or are right-wing wack-jobs).
Hmmm, the JMSDF ships & subs inport Pearl Harbor seem to fly plenty of their national flags... they probably figure it's fair payback for agreeing to let us forward-base a nuclear carrier in Yokosuka.

Hmmm, the JMSDF ships & subs inport Pearl Harbor seem to fly plenty of their national flags...

You got me there. :) I'm going to guess that they are there in an official capacity, unless they are just ferrying tourists to see the Honolulu Marathon. (In which case they could be covered under the "international sports contest" category. :)) Probably not wing-nuts, unless they are loaded with sound trucks...

I suppose I must be lacking in some way, but I don't get the Merkin flag obsession either. I'll treat the flag with respect, but see no particular virtue in having slathered all over, well, everything. Aside from signalling to everyone else that you wish to be thought of as a rabid jingoist (like them), I don't get it.

But that's just me.

Interesting. I do display our flag on occasion, and find that i have the same sort of difficulty disposing of a flag as i do disposing of a bible or things that belonged to my deceased Mother. Several years ago it was suggested by some that travelers claim to be from Canada rather than the US - even to the extent of sewing the maple leaf on their packs. I think Canada is a fine country but thought that was a terrible idea - Americans abroad should be ambassadors for their country. When we were outside the country we didn't sew any flags on our gear - OTOH, there was little doubt we were Americans - actually do remember several asking if we were Canadians, and was pleased to correct them.
I'm not much of a joiner or club member though - absolutly hate clothing that has the makers name splashed across the front - be it nike or old navy or whatever. Don't feel like being a walking billboard for them. Don't fly yellow ribbons or run "Remember the Maine!" bumper stickers either. My taste runs more toward having the US being quieter and more effective - a bit more in the speak softly camp. This could disolve into a question of what patriotism is - or even whether patriotism is the highest good - but i think we are all folk of good will, and that might be the most important thing of all.

I've been displaying the American flag at my home for as long as I can remember, my grandparents did it and when I purchased the house from them I kept up the tradition. I'll keep it displayed as long as I'm there and hope someone after me does the same.

The flag, ... what about getting bin laden and bringing him to justice?

Anybody who can report on the situation in Canada, Australia, Argentina, Brazil, etc.?

I'm in Canada. While I'm rather indifferent to flags, DW insists on flying the Maple Leaf (Canada) and St. Andrew's Cross (Scotland). To each his own.

I've been displaying the American flag at my home for as long as I can remember, my grandparents did it and when I purchased the house from them I kept up the tradition. I'll keep it displayed as long as I'm there and hope someone after me does the same.

Don't mean to cause insult, but I am genuinely curious: why?

I suppose I must be lacking in some way, but I don't get the Merkin flag obsession either. I'll treat the flag with respect, but see no particular virtue in having slathered all over, well, everything. Aside from signalling to everyone else that you wish to be thought of as a rabid jingoist (like them), I don't get it.
I can understand the sentiment & memories associated with a family member raising & lowering the flag at their house or for ceremonies. In our case I remember the thousands of colors ceremonies I've done over the years, and our kid enjoys her memories of learning to do it in 5th grade. A neighbor displays their flag because it started as their kid's merit badges in Boy/Girl Scouts.

A house in our town has three no-foolin' 20-foot flagpoles on the street side of their lot. They're always displaying the American & USMC flags and the third flag rotates among German, Italian, & Hawaiian flags. I think that the USMC flag is a nice recruiting ad as well as a good way to advertise that the owner is not to be trifled with.

The Hawaiian flag is frequently flown here, and it's not unusual to see it flown upside-down as a soveriegnty symbol. It was a major fuss in 1993 (centennial of the monarchy's overthrow) when Iolani Palace lowered the American flag and flew only the Hawaiian flag for the day. It was also a major fuss the next day when they raised the American flag again...

I'll take a stab as to why I did it - you know I don't blindly follow whatever the administration says. But for me, it's about an ideal, a concept that's greater than any individual. So many countries in the world are ruled by a dictator, a cult of personality, or an unofficial oligarchy (I think Mexico has 90%+ of it's wealth and power shared among 400 families). The ideals of what this flag, this Constitution, and this Declaration of Independence represent the best of what humankind can imagine. The fact that we often fall short of that ideal should not in any way take away from it.

That's not to say there aren't jerks out their who have pasted their F-350 with flag stickers - one cut me off just this morning.

We fly our flag to honor all of the veterans, living and deceased, that have fought to keep and to protect the freedom that we, as Americans, cherish and enjoy!!!

I don't like most of our politicians, but I most certainly LOVE our magnificent country!!! And I'll definitely keep Old Glory flying here at my homestead until they plant my @$$ 6 feet under!!! To do otherwise would be.....peculiar!

Goonie, couldn't have said it better myself! Same goes for me. And laurencewill, I think you are right on!

My dad was a WWII vet. I went out yesterday and placed a small flag on his grave where it proudly waves in the breeze today. When that little flag begins to show wear, I'll place a new one. If anyone had ever desecrated the flag in front of him (or even questioned his patriotism), even at age 90 he would have been prepared to get them "straightened out".

When you are raised from the time you are born to believe everything listed in the quote above, there is great respect for the flag and all that it means.

I am always slightly suspicious of someone who does not feel a strong sense of patriotism as though there is just something a little "off". Sorry for the bias, but it is just built into my psyche. I am sure those of you who find my attitude curious and strange are very fine and well-intentioned people, but as said in the quote, I find it "peculiar" that you don't feel the same way I do. No criticism intended, but there are strong emotions attached to love of my country and love of the symbol that represents my country so there is emotion in this post.

This is set in stone with me. I will never change. Whip out the flag and my eyes always tear up.

And, once again, please NO OFFENSE intended to anyone here who does not feel the same way.

I'll take a stab as to why I did it - you know I don't blindly follow whatever the administration says. But for me, it's about an ideal, a concept that's greater than any individual. So many countries in the world are ruled by a dictator, a cult of personality, or an unofficial oligarchy (I think Mexico has 90%+ of it's wealth and power shared among 400 families). The ideals of what this flag, this Constitution, and this Declaration of Independence represent the best of what humankind can imagine. The fact that we often fall short of that ideal should not in any way take away from it.

And you feel that the display of an oddly patterned, brghtly colored piece of canvas is the best way to represent those ideals?

Not trying to cast aspersions, I guess I just don't get it. I feel sufficiently patriotic, but since I have an inherent distrust of institutions, symbols that appeal to large groups, and the military, I have a hard time seeing the display of a symbol as an important outcome of whatever patriotic feelings I harbor.

Back
Top Bottom