How can we downsize ?

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
Everybody talks about downsizing but as I've gotten older my family has swelled to include sil's ,dil's,and grandchildren .When we all get together it's a mob scene . So why do people think of downsizing when we need more room than ever ? Maybe the perfect set up would be a small house with a hotel next door .

Are all those folks visiting all at the same time, all the time?

Are all those folks visiting all at the same time, all the time?

My SO has four boys with four wives and four children so far . I have one daughter, one son in law and a grandbaby on the way . All my SO's children live nearby so they frequently visit .My daughter lives farther away but when she visits everybody shows up .During football season it gets a little crazy! Go Gators !

My parents didn't think they could downsize either, but my brother has a hugh house in the same tiown. Short version: they downsized and events moved to his home. Maybe one of the "kids" can take over if you downsize.

I concur: Go Gators

Is all of this hosting something YOU want to do, yourself? If you want to do it, then you will want a larger house to accomodate that - - just as a person who really wants to fill the living room with a functioning toy train collection or with a pool table would want a larger house to accomodate those hobbies.

But if they are becoming a pain in the rear, and you are letting yourself get pushed into not downsizing by that, then stand up for what you want! If you had a smaller house, they would probably enjoy staging the get-togethers just as much as they enjoyed coming over to your house.

Small house, big yard...maybe a pole barn or some home-engineered canopy over a part of the yard. Throw in cooling misters hoses or portable heaters as climate demands.

Better yet: downsize by a park with a gazebo.

And for entertainment, your guests can drive the bobcat around the yard. I like it!

Front and back screened porches - those fancy blow up air mattresses like on tv/Plus a 28' Prowler(semi retired)camper out front of the fish camp with power(read A/C) and water run from the pumphouse.

Hell - Some Mardi Grais we had friends or relatives so distant nobody wanted to admit they didn/t remember who they were.

Life is much quieter in Kansas City. My backyard grill/BBQ skills have yet to draw large attendances!

heh heh heh heh heh heh

Everybody talks about downsizing but as I've gotten older my family has swelled to include sil's ,dil's,and grandchildren .When we all get together it's a mob scene . So why do people think of downsizing when we need more room than ever ? Maybe the perfect set up would be a small house with a hotel next door .

If you are happy with your current situation, why "downsize"?

After about 15 yrs - the Mardis Grais thing got a tad old. So the yearly gather in Reno(most family out West) thing got started with my Mom shopping(they were retired by then) for the best deal as early as a year ahead. That was good for about ten years.

Since my Sister's kids are career military more or less - last year was Pensacola at Thanksgiving. This year will have relatives in DC, Pensacola,San Diego, Seattle - Christmas at :confused:?

Agile, mobile and hostile.

And I stayed single and come from a small family! Go figure!

heh heh heh

Some more thoughts, after reading Uncle Mick's posts about the camper in the yard - -

I have been looking online at houses in Missouri (and dreaming, I admit). There are plenty of smaller houses that have a guest house or outbuilding with utilities, out back. You could have your small house for most of the year, and have guest quarters as well.

Frank is interested in this type of home up there because he wants to turn the outbuilding into a ham radio station ("ham shack"). I don't see the purpose in it since he lives alone, so he could use a spare bedroom for that. But in your case, you could benefit from not having to clean or heat the guest house when you don't have guests.

Guest houses are tough in the north where you can get below freezing temperatures. Unless you forgo plumbing in the guest house.

I think this kind of thinking is why people have bigger house and smaller saving accounts - they plan for the peaks in in their lives and all that comes with it. It isn't just the large house but, the furnishing, utilities, taxes, etc that comes along with it that drains your finances.

If you own it they will come. Have a large house? This is the first place people will think to stay when visiting from out of town. Cheaper than a hotel so it makes sense. This is not a problem if you like that. DH and I have a large house but do not encourage over night guests. In an emergency we can pull out the inflatable beds but even with all of the space we have we do not have guest rooms. I agree with Dex. There is no need to hold onto more house than you want or need just for the occasional visitor.

Two words: air matresses

Back
Top Bottom