Intro from Sacramento

biosurfer1

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello all, I'm Brett (or biosurfer1).

I've been a lurker on the boards for sometime now and finally decided to join so I can post. I have learned a ton and its so nice to have people to talk to about retirement plans since most of my friends have a blank stare when I mention things like 401k, IRA, etc...

Anyways, I'm 26 years old, not married (but think I found "the one") and am in the process of buying my first house (scary as hell, btw). I have been extremely interested in all things money my whole life and love researching money management and retirement stuff. My SO finds most of it boring but she'll appreciate it when we're 45 and both retired;)

I graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering, but moved to controls engineering right out of school. I work for a small company which is how I like it, maybe not as much $$ but the working environment is fun, challenging and I'm doing a lot better than most people my age.

I mostly just read posts, but if I know an answer I'll throw it out there. If any one wants to know about controls, porsches, or auto detailing, I'm probably your guy:)

Great site and thanks everyone for all the info I've already gotten!

Biosurfing? Is that like mosh diving?

slamming.medium.jpg

ha.. no, its actually just a word i thought sounded cool when I was 11 and made my first AOL screen name....biosurfer was taken so I became very creative and added the 1:)

i've used that screen name so long now, its too integrated into my online persona to get rid of

Brett, welcome aboard!

Don't be surprised when you're still getting those blank stares in 20 years. But you'll have that Cheshire cat grin. It's great to see someone your age with retirement planning even on the radar.

Coach

Hello Brett

Welcome to the forum. The fact that you are reading these posts and interested in FIRE is a huge plus placing you so far ahead of most people your age OR people in their 30s OR people in their 40s. :D

The primary key to FIRE is living below your means. Hope you and your future bride can be in agreement on LBYM so that the ride to FIRE is as smooth as possible.

Glad you found this place. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable.

TG

Thanks Coach!

I've tried to talk to friends about retirement, some listen and others dont, but almost all of them never do anything about it. They either say they dont make enough to save or its too hard to put money aside and just watch it sit there since they wont be using it for years...I pretty much keep to myself now, but am always willing to help any of them if they ask.

I told my girlfriend I sometimes think out loud about money stuff/retirement and to ignore me. She's great in that she listens and nods her head but doesnt really care. Once in a while she tells me something like "I can't believe you think about stuff like that", and I always think to myself "I can't believe you don't!!" At least she really apreciates all of the work I do for us:) We all have our strengths though...

Thanks TexasGal...LBYM has never been my strong point but its going to have to be with the new house, my SO has actually been a great help in helping me manage my day to day "stupid" purchases, which kill me.

The single greatest saver I've gotten since I've been with her is all the home cooking we do. I would go out to eat (no kidding) probably 17-18 meals a week before her just because I never shopped for food or cooked much. Now thats down to 4-5 times a wek and the money is really adding up...plus cooking with her is way fun and the food is good (usually;))

Back
Top Bottom