Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   What's your exercise plan in colder months? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/whats-your-exercise-plan-in-colder-months-30613.html)

Danny 10-19-2007 10:07 AM

The Y and long walks in the woods...

Zoocat 10-20-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 566639)
I'm in Michigan and I walk regularly in the ice and snow (when I'm not mall walking). When it gets icy I use Yak Trax on my boots. They really help.

Yaktrax Walker Shoe Traction

Ditto. Put on my jacket, boots, and, unless it's icy, go hiking on the snowy trails with my dog who gets very excited about winter weather. But I also have a gym membership and use it more during winter.

Zoocat 10-20-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 567819)
Interesting! Great - - if I can keep the basement at least somewhat cool and wrap the pipes, and let the water drip, then a house with a basement wouldn't necessarily be too much more expensive to heat. These are good things to know. Thanks! I agree that it will be fun (for me). To me, it is a huge adventure. :)

I am also planning to live in town, as opposed to neighboring rural areas, and they do plow the major streets. I'll put all that stuff in the trunk of my car, and I probably wouldn't venture very far from home when weather is bad.

In Missouri, your biggest winter challenge will be ICE. There are some nasty ice storms in that part of the country. Been there!

W2R 10-20-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbabe (Post 568641)
In Missouri, your biggest winter challenge will be ICE. There are some nasty ice storms in that part of the country. Been there!

That's when having a big, well stocked pantry, a woodburning fireplace, and YakTrax on my shoes if I venture outside at all, will really help! At least, that is what I am hoping. I am sure that I have a lot to learn.

Moemg 10-20-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Want2retire (Post 568678)
I am sure that I have a lot to learn.

We all do when we move from one climate to the opposite one . Just buy lots of socks and sweaters .

calmloki 10-20-2007 06:51 PM

Bend over to fill multiple cat dishes. Haul in as many loads of wood as the day and evening will require. 2xweek physical therapy for last month's shoulder surgery. Mowing up leaves from the rentals, pruning. Taking abuse from the physical therapist for doing same. Gym maybe 4xweek for treadmill and crunches and stretching.

daystar 10-21-2007 04:04 PM

There's a tiny fitness center in my apartment complex I can use, or what I usually do is go to Bally's.

Achiever51 10-21-2007 09:08 PM

This is what I don't like about living in a climate that gets snow/ice in the winter. Today the temp was 78 -- perfect blue sky -- DH and I spent most of the afternoon cleaning up flower beds, putting down extra mulch, trimming tree branches. So enjoyable just being outside, watching airplane contrails in the sky, eating dinner on the deck....life is good.

Now, fast forward maybe 90 days -- if typical weather patterns hold, the sky, streets, lawns, trees will all be an unappealing grey color, heavy cloud cover, damp air, ugh!

I know, appreciate what you got when you got it, 'cause soon it will be gone!

thefed 10-21-2007 09:24 PM

i hate exercising, BUT for about 2-3 months total per year, i get 'the bug'....i eat well, work out cardio AND weights etc. This tapers of quickly and morphs into eating bad food "because I'll burn it off", the weights only, then nothing

Then once I get to a weight that grosses me out, I begin again....

TargaDave 10-22-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifp (Post 567189)
I put a rash guard on because Hawaii water drops below 80 in the winter...>:D

North Carolina coast requires a drysuit but I get to burn all those extra calories just staying warm. Also plenty of great weather for running-riding.