Interesting Random Statistics Thursday

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hmm...IRS thursday. Maybe I need a better title...

From my water company:

"For the $1.50 you pay for a bottle of water, you could fill a 20oz plastic bottle from your tap once per day for 13 years"

We just got back from spending several hours watching Gabe play in the mud next to our "water supply". I think I'll run it through a filter first.

I dunno... I don't see this taking off like "Funny Joke Thursday"...

From my water company:
"For the $1.50 you pay for a bottle of water, you could fill a 20oz plastic bottle from your tap once per day for 13 years"
"It's not what the bottled water has in it, it's what's been taken out of it!"

In New York City, approximately 1,600 people are bitten by other people each year.

Here's a couple from my "enlightened" political science TA from class on Tuesday:

1. Half of the homeless have a Master's degree or better (So half the homless have a master's and Phd-I don't think so)

2. Half of all deaths during hurricanes are cause by snake bites- wow.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Actually, to be correct twaddle, that should read:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, those who want to understand binary, and those who won't.

Here's a couple from my "enlightened" political science TA from class on Tuesday:

1. Half of the homeless have a Master's degree or better (So half the homless have a master's and Phd-I don't think so)

2. Half of all deaths during hurricanes are cause by snake bites- wow.

1.) A survey of homeless shelters in the Boston area showed that roughly 9% of homeless have a college degree, up from 6% a few years ago. 73% have a highschool diploma, up from 56%. Reasoning included that folks with a college degree have a very hard time getting an entry level job because they're overqualified.

2) Pretty darn unlikely, but a medical examiner attributed 25% of the katrina deaths to fatalities during cleanup efforts.

1.) A survey of homeless shelters in the Boston area showed that roughly 9% of homeless have a college degree, up from 6% a few years ago. 73% have a highschool diploma, up from 56%.
I've always wondered who does the verification of these résumé claims.

If I was dependent on a homeless shelter for any fragment of my support, I'd have whatever qualifications they wanted me to have...

"The average pro wrestler pays $3500 to go to pro wresting 'school', and earns approximately $50,000 per year".

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Casual dating can be dangerous. A study of spiders shows female wolf spiders will eat strange-looking males that try to mate with them, but spare and even hook up with familiar-looking males. The findings provide not just an interesting insight into spider behavior, but may help explain actions by "higher" animals, said arachnologist Eileen Hebets of Cornell University in New York. "The female is using earlier experience that is going to affect her mate choice later," Hebets said in a telephone interview. "It is reasonable to expect that is a common thing in other animals." Hebets worked with Schizocosa uetzi spiders, commonly known as wolf spiders. The female, which is slightly larger, can choose a) to mate, b) to run away or c) to eat her suitor. Apparently, running away is not a very frequently used option.....[/FONT]

Why do I feel suddenly uncomfortable? ;)

Spiders have a circulatory system including heart, veins, and arteries. And blue blood.

"The average pro wrestler pays $3500 to go to pro wresting 'school', and earns approximately $50,000 per year".

Really:confused: That's a great return on investment! I mean, that's a great salary to do what you love, and I've seen the t.v. specials on pro wrestling school, these guys love it! I don't think they left the oncology department to take up this career, either.

Chuck Norris’ body is able to cash any check that his mouth writes. On a hot summer day Chuck Norris’ body even cashed a check for $537 Million that his mouth wrote. Chuck Norris used the money to buy 17 Ice Cream factories, 16 to cool himself off and 1 to obliterate for round-house kick practice.

There is no theory of evolution, there are just animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

Chuck Norris does not sleep, he waits.

The chief export of Chuck Norris is PAIN!

That's all I can remember for now, Chuck Norris rules. :D

Most people understand that their bank deposits are insured by the FDIC. What most people don’t understand is that the FDIC is insured by Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris is able to make the sound of one hand clapping. The rest of humanity perceives this sound as a solar eclipse.

The Martial Arts Hall of Fame was inducted into Chuck Norris.

Maybe I should start a separate thread for Chuck Norris facts and statistics.

I wonder what the median earnings are. Average earnings are easily skewed by a small number making millions.

Indeed, several make over several million a year.

Unfortunately, the BLS does not track such a stat. I presume therefore that it doesnt make it into the CPI-U.:-X

Unfortunately, the BLS does not track such a stat. I presume therefore that it doesnt make it into the CPI-U.:-X

Was that a passive-aggressive invite to another round of CPI SMACKDOWN!?

Sumo.jpg

All of earths continents are larger at the northern end than the southern end. Nobody knows why.

Actually, to be correct twaddle, that should read:
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, those who don't, those who want to understand binary, and those who won't.

You just rattled off 100 types of people, not 10. :D

What's 4 in binary?

Sounds like we need a few more categories:

- those that think they understand binary but don't?

- those that don't care?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure it goes:

00 = zero

01 = ONE, base ten (the 'normal' system for most people)

10 = TWO, base ten

11 = THREE, base ten

100 = FOUR, base ten

I'm pretty sure that's right. I counted on my nostrils.

-ERD50

The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom