still 49.. and definitely ER soon

sonny

Confused about dryer sheets
.. thanks everyone for their responses to my previous post. i am definitely retiring as soon as my current assignment is done (first 1/4 2008.) What i would do is consult on a part time basis. i just thought it would be a good way to wade into ER.
I have 2 great boys in grades 11 and 9... Wheel is correct... it would be priceless to watch them play basketball, hockey, etc, thru their school years.

I would guess that if you'all are doing the ER thing... then you must have fairly good careers and/or managed your $$$'s wisely... let me ask everyone...
-> was it hard to step away from your salary and go into ER ?? its a pretty large pay cut <lol>

Currently, my 80 yr old dad is deteriorating from the final stages of kidney failure. this life event has me shaken'd (and stirr'd)... another question i have is:
-> was there a life event that contributed to your retirement ?

take care all.
sonny

.. thanks everyone for their responses to my previous post. i am definitely retiring as soon as my current assignment is done (first 1/4 2008.) What i would do is consult on a part time basis. i just thought it would be a good way to wade into ER.
I have 2 great boys in grades 11 and 9... Wheel is correct... it would be priceless to watch them play basketball, hockey, etc, thru their school years.

I would guess that if you'all are doing the ER thing... then you must have fairly good careers and/or managed your $$$'s wisely... let me ask everyone...
-> was it hard to step away from your salary and go into ER ?? its a pretty large pay cut <lol>

Currently, my 80 yr old dad is deteriorating from the final stages of kidney failure. this life event has me shaken'd (and stirr'd)... another question i have is:

take care all.
sonny

Your first question, NO, it was not hard to step away from salary to ER. I had so arranged my affairs that I got an increase when I ER'd.

Your second question, there was no dramatic life event to spur my ER such as you mention. Rather it was a years long "life event" of my wanting and planning for early retirement, and seeing years ahead of time, I wanted to be retired while my kids were still in my home and going to school.

I have never regretted ER when I did, or all the years of planning/saving/investing/LBYMing to make it come true.

Hi Sonny,

My work environment had deteriorated for quite some time, so when mega corp made an early retirement offer to all employees over a certain age and length of service, I ran to be the first volunteer in line. :) That was the life event you mentioned.

I was so glad to leave with a pension that I didn't worry much about the money situation until after I left. The pension was only about 1/3rd of my last salary. I had always lived below my means (LBYM) and had saved about $900K. That was in 2001.

Later, I found Early Retirement Forums and learned about the financial and social situation of other earlier retirees. That helped put me at ease a bit. Hope reading this forum will help you, too.

Enjoy the forum.

Back
Top Bottom