Where do you post?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
For the last few years I've been adding a discussion board here, another board there, and suddenly I was up to over a dozen a day.

Here's a pro/con summary of the boards I frequent:

E-R.org:
- Lots of resources, advice, and experiences. Always something happening.
- "Not the way it used to be", and that's not a good thing. Bloated software, slow-loading ads, too many DNS/server errors. Too big to read every thread.

REHP
- Great articles & research. Discussion board recently went H0cus-free.
- Discussion board is mostly crickets chirping (and two trolls grunting).

Raddr's board
- Great research and in-depth analysis. Fast software. Outstanding asset-allocation slice&dice and expat investing/travel discussions.
- Much smaller audience, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

ER Status Forum
- What the #$%^ is going on with E-R.org?!? Crisp software. Great community.
- Hmmm, can't think any cons.

Hawaii Threads
- Things I never knew about local culture & events. Strong expat community. A great place for non-residents to plan their "real Hawaii" vacations. Oddly enough uses E-R.org's vBulletin software but runs much faster.
- Mighty insular crowd (but not rude), much talk story.

Classmates.com
- High school classmates & reunion chatter.
- The most disgustingly ad-clogged website I have ever seen.

Navy.TogetherWeServed.com
- Best shipmate locater ever. Good for researching obscure Navy history/culture questions.
- Like hanging around Aloha Stadium during high-school graduation week. Fast-moving, way too many discussions to keep track of, no sense of overall discussion-board community. Most chatter is offline among shipmates.

Sailor Bob
- Surface warriors talking Navy current events.
- Can't really post personal info there; too many of these SWOs have worked with me or my spouse and would instantly recognize us. Maybe I'll post more there after she's retired.

Rigged For Dive
- Submariners.
- Discussions can bring back memories that give me nightmares.

I only rarely visit Ed Slott's IRA Help Forum
- Fantastic resource for all IRA questions, no matter how obscure or abstruse.
- No longer have many IRA questions.

I've cut back by leaving M*'s numerous boards (low signal/noise ratio, low-quality financial info & tools, bloated software, trolls), FundAlarm (Roy Weitz appears to have stopped writing his monthly commentaries and we no longer own mutual funds), GruntsMilitary.com (very angry crowd), and Military.com (too many ads).

Where do you post, and what does it have to offer the rest of us?

Here
Bikeforums.net 50+
Obsidian Wings
Slashdot

I follow a bunch like TPM, New Scientist, Kevin Kelly.

As I have ranted before, I wish this forum would post all new posts in their RSS feed so I could follow them there -- much easier to monitor conversations and jump in.

Here

FederalSoup.com (for federal employees & military)

Bass Fishing Home Page

Here
Financial Webring Forum

That's enough!

Shhh...I'll get in trouble again! ;)

I used it once before. Nobody could make it out. Al knew what it was though. This one is slightly larger.

I post at a couple of sites dedicated to one of my hobbies. I don't want to name them, because I would be instantly recognized by anyone from those boards who came here.

I'm far less anonymous there (and have met dozens from those sites in RL), but of course I would never openly share financial info there. Here I'm anonymous and therefore am open about financial info.

I should add I'm not being paranoid - there is one guy who posts here occasionally that I know from those other forums and from real life. He has no idea that I've read his posts here where he fully shared lots of personal financial info. I don't want to make the same mistake.

So here we know you as Maurice, 'cause you speak of the pompatus of love, while elsewhere you're the space cowboy and/or gangster of love?

Nope. Diana would not have been caught dead in my pants...

Slow and easy, right over the plate. This could work out. I need a straight man...

Oh dear... I post regularly at Fark, Fatwallet, Slashdot, Poke-the-ho$uc, occasionally at Diehards and some of the Morningstar boards, usually at a couple of fantasy football sites but not this year, which sucks because I always take Tom Brady and would probably have taken Randy Moss as a "why not?" sleeper pick.

I didn't see the relatively new Vanguard Diehards forum mentioned. That forum has outstanding asset allocation and investment advice as long as the solution involves a Vanguard fund. Several financial book authors / CFA charterholders post there and answer your questions as well.

i live a very sheltered life so mostly just here but i'm considering branching out. as i think i'm interested in thailand i've posted as thaicurious on thaivisa, mostly just asking visa and general living questions but also i offer my brand of comment to the gay forum. i started participating in the buddhism forum there but the moderator is very closed minded so that any topic that does not conform to his brand of buddhism is quickly closed so i have given up on that.

i've stalked some boating forums, lately, the sailing ones. but as i was raised motor boating, not sailing and so i'd need to develop a whole new set of skills to take that on, i mostly feel i don't have much to offer. if i can be helpful with someone's post then i come out of hiding & participate.

i used to participate in some aol forums but i found mostly the level of intelligence and maturity lacking. not that i'm all that smart and not that i'm yet grown up, i just feel more comfortable in the company of those who are and have. also, though some creeps have tried to blindside me here it is somewhat less repulsive than the many creeps who'd try to pick me up there. hopefully, to maintain balance, i'm being at least as offensive.

i think what limits most my participation with online forums is the incredible rudeness of so many who use them. i'd shoot half of them if i just saw them loitering in my front yard. so why would i invite them inside & onto my desk?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom